Options

calibrating with Spyderpro 2

HeatherSPhotographicsHeatherSPhotographics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited March 22, 2008 in Finishing School
not sure what targets, etc to use so that I know my images will look as they would if printed by you folks. Also, anyone else have a problem taking ICC profile and putting it in CS2?

Help me out gang. thanks

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    not sure what targets, etc to use so that I know my images will look as they would if printed by you folks. Also, anyone else have a problem taking ICC profile and putting it in CS2?

Help me out gang. thanks

I'd start with a 2.2 TRC gamma and a D65 white point. Luminance is based on how you'll view the prints (so is the white point). If print to screen match is such that the screen is too dark or light, adjust the luminance to match. In the same respect, if the appearance is too cool or warm, based on print viewing conditions (which should be standardized and fixed ideally), you can adjust the white point up or down.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 22, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    I'd start with a 2.2 TRC gamma and a D65 white point. Luminance is based on how you'll view the prints (so is the white point). If print to screen match is such that the screen is too dark or light, adjust the luminance to match. In the same respect, if the appearance is too cool or warm, based on print viewing conditions (which should be standardized and fixed ideally), you can adjust the white point up or down.

I would like to thank Andrew for stating this so clearly. The point is that the screen and the print should match after a proper calibration. This means that the print should be examined under a proper light that is appropriate for print examination, not the nearest 60 watt tungsten bulb. (I use an Ott light for print evaluation, but there are other, better lights than that, perhaps Andrew will mention a few of them. Please. )
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    HeatherSPhotographicsHeatherSPhotographics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I was too tired to wait for it to set up last night so I will do it this evening.