Second attempt.

300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited March 28, 2008 in Holy Macro
Here are 2 shots from my second attempt at macro
EXIF inf
D200, ISO 100, Tripod mounted, 105mm VR lens, .6 sec @ f/8.0, electronic trigger. Lighting for both is room light. Pole mounted compact fluorescent, 55W bounced off the ceiling (White).
I did these before I did lord V focus and F stop test.

Watch I built a while back. I did not remove the crystal back as I did not want to get dust in the movement. I have an open movement if someone wants a close shot of one out of a case. Mainspring is broke on that one. Movement is a gold case and not steel.
268844927_SGgKe-L.jpg

A stamp sized puzzle. This is mounted on a lens to give me the height I wanted with a motel room key keeping the stamp flat.
268845138_yqNrX-L.jpg

I would appreciate any comments as I am learning.
Thanks

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I'm intrigued by the watch, it's a wonderful subject for macro, and the colour is beautiful

my only suggestion is that with photos of mechanical objects like this one, I'd prefer to have it fully in focus, so all the information is there, that being said in this case what we really want is the plane of focus to cover all the inner workings of the watch.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Both lovely shots with sharp focus where it needs to be :)
    Brian V.
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Thank you both. I will try again with the camers straigh down vs at an angle. Maybe f/11 on the next shot?
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Both lovely shots with sharp focus where it needs to be :)
    Brian V.
    bowdown.gif Who am I to challenge that!

I'm not doing a very good job of explaining myself, I just find I'd like the innards of the watch in the foreground a little less out of focus, the rest of the edges are just great! I am having trouble figuring out how best to accomplish this. headscratch.gif

I'm not sure I'm being very helpful, the framing, angle, light, composition in general is great! I only wish the one lighter coloured round thing front and a bit to the right was not as out of focus as it is, since it draws my eyes a bit.

Maybe 1 stop down, and shift the focus just 1/2 millimetre closer to the front? That might keep the focus in the background more or less the same and get that little bit more detail up front
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    300m wrote:
    Here are 2 shots from my second attempt at macro
    EXIF inf
    D200, ISO 100, Tripod mounted, 105mm VR lens, .6 sec @ f/8.0, electronic trigger. Lighting for both is room light. Pole mounted compact fluorescent, 55W bounced off the ceiling (White).
    I did these before I did lord V focus and F stop test.

Watch I built a while back. I did not remove the crystal back as I did not want to get dust in the movement. I have an open movement if someone wants a close shot of one out of a case. Mainspring is broke on that one. Movement is a gold case and not steel.

A stamp sized puzzle. This is mounted on a lens to give me the height I wanted with a motel room key keeping the stamp flat.

I would appreciate any comments as I am learning.
    Thanks

These are Excellent John clap.gif :ivar
    The inside of that watch looks amazing, sooooooooo sharp, both shots.
    Your lighting has worked really well for you with these Macro's.
    You've done a beautiful job with both of these images.
    Well Done!! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin