macro equipment question (MT-24EX)

davidaevansdavidaevans Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
I just received the Canon MT-24EX flash unit for my birthday. I am using it with Digital Rebel XTi and MP-E 65 macro lens. I put in new batteries (have tried both alkaline and lithium) and use the unit for 20-50 flashes (seems to work well). Then I turn off both the flash (the pilot light stays on with switch in the off position) and the camera but leave the flash attached to the camera. Two days later I go to use it again and the batteries are totally dead. :(: Is this normal? Must I detach the flash unit from the camera when not in use? Is the flash unit defective?
Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Have not got the particular flash gun but in the two models I do own the pilot light goes off when I turn them off and I can leave rechargeable batteries in them for several days without them losing any noticeable power so I'd guess you have a defective unit.
    Brian V.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I've noticed similar behaviour from the NIMHs I use in my 430EX flash, however the shelf life of each charge isn't all that long anyways, I sometimes find that if I haven't been doing much for a while, all my batteries (3 sets of 4) have minimal charges, so I typically load each set into the flash, if there's any juice yet I use the pilot light test fire to empty them, and charge them for a few hours until all the sets are done, they're then ready to last me quite a while.

If you find that the flash is causing a quicker than normal power drain, yuo might consider removing them, or better yet do a controlled test, charge two sets, leave one (the control) out of the flash except for test firings at regular intervals, and keep the other set in the flash, work out how fast they wear down.

:Edit:

I just noticed the bit with the pilot light staying on, yeah, if you can't shut that thing down, then get it serviced!
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    With my mt-24ex, when I turn it off the pilot light goes off. I don't use rechargable batteries - I use Duracell ultra and haven't had any dramas at all.

I don't recall anywhere in the manual where it says to take the batteries out when not in use or to detach the control unit from the camera when not in use.

I'm going to have a re-read of the manual to check it out. FWIW - I think you've got a defective unit.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    It also sounds to me like there is something wrong with it -the pilot light should go out when you turn it off.
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • davidaevansdavidaevans Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Thanks
    The unit was, in fact, defective and the new one is much better--thanks for the help!! :ivar