Options

Novice PS SC3 User - Post Image for Feedback

DiffDiff Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited April 3, 2008 in Finishing School
I've finished working through a few PS CS workbooks that have been excellent: Adobe PS CS3 1-on-1 (Deke McClellant) and PS CS3 for photographers (Video Training book by Chris Orwig. Very good & obtained EBay for $45.00 vs $145).

What I'm experiencing is that going through the workbooks is like learning how to drive an automatic transmission car. Now, using my photos & applying what I've learned is like learning how to drive a manual transmission!

Question: Is this forum a place where I can: Post my "before: & "after" shots? Provide the steps used, and, get some feedback & direction?

Oh, what are the requirements for uploading images to the forum? Use PS - Save for web?

~ Much Thanks ~
~ Diff ~

Comments

• Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    The Whipping post is probably a better place to post before and afters and get peoples critique or help.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 28, 2008
    Diff:

If you are specifically looking for help on post-processing using Photoshop, this forum is appropriate. The Whipping Post is for overall critique. You can find a tutorial on posting pics here. It is better not to use Save for Web, as that strips out EXIF data from your pic. Ideally, you should follow the instructions in the tutorial and link to the EXIF data, as they can be useful in analyzing problems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Richard...

Thanks!
    ~ Diff ~

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Diff wrote:
    I've finished working through a few PS CS workbooks that have been excellent: Adobe PS CS3 1-on-1 (Deke McClellant) and PS CS3 for photographers (Video Training book by Chris Orwig. Very good & obtained EBay for $45.00 vs $145).

What I'm experiencing is that going through the workbooks is like learning how to drive an automatic transmission car. Now, using my photos & applying what I've learned is like learning how to drive a manual transmission!

Question: Is this forum a place where I can: Post my "before: & "after" shots? Provide the steps used, and, get some feedback & direction?

Oh, what are the requirements for uploading images to the forum? Use PS - Save for web?

~ Much Thanks ~

Diff, the Finishing School is a fine place to discuss post processing of images. Feel free to post your image, and what you did to it and why, and I am sure others will offer suggestions.

As to practical matters - make sure your image is in the sRGB color space - eg: DO NOT USE Save for Web as that strips the color space tag for sRGB.

If you can link to your image hosted on the web, as in a gallery on smugmug or other hosting sites, that will be better than an attached image, as you can only upload one 'attached image' in each post. With linking, you can have as many images as you want ( and they are of better quality too ), but I suggest only one image before and after your processing, or it just gets too confusing for everyone trying to keep track of which image they are all talking about.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    >> If you can link to your image hosted on the web, as in a >> gallery on smugmug or other hosting sites, that will be >> better...

Thanks for this tip!

All my existing photos at smugmug were never touched by PS; other then: cropping, some dust removal, & healing tool.

Oh boy! I'm getting dizzy thinking about updated all of my photos using PS CS3!!

Thanks all...

[FONT=&quot]diffphotos.smugmug[/FONT]
    ~ Diff ~

• Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Diff,

You have some lovely images in your gallery - I was checking out your Popular Images - You are allowing downloading of the full sized original images there. Not sure that if that is your intention or not, just thought I would point it out.

If none of your images have been edited via Photoshop before uploading, they look pretty good even without it, but then they can be even better after editing too!

• Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    Thanks for the compliment.

Dang! Didn't realize that I had a few categories that were not protected. Think I got all of them changes. Can I assume that my "Popular..." becomes protected when ALL my categories are set? I've been away from the site for many months and it needs some updating.

Thanks again!!
    ~ Diff ~

• Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    I see large, but not original, full sizes, now, in your Popular Images gallery.thumb.gif