Help understanding my D3 please

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited March 24, 2008 in Cameras
I got my D3 on Monday and spent the week reading the manual. I have a log to learn. On Saturday I took it for a run at the Jacksonville Zoo and got a few OK pictures. I am using SD 4GB cards which when formatted shows 202 available images when I have my camera set to RAW. I shot 270 pictures. When I got home all 270 pictures were on card 1 and there was still space left. I thought that after 202 it should have been filled up and the camers should have started using the second card. There were no images on card 2. Is there something that I am missing when I set the camera for RAW?
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 23, 2008
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    ... I am using SD 4GB cards which when formatted shows 202 available images when I have my camera set to RAW. I shot 270 pictures. When I got home all 270 pictures were on card 1 and there was still space left. I thought that after 202 it should have been filled up and the camers should have started using the second card. There were no images on card 2. Is there something that I am missing when I set the camera for RAW?

If you look at the file sizes for your RAW files you will probably note that they are not all the same size. They will vary according to the image contents of the file.

Your camera simply uses the worst-case scenario in guessing how many images might be available to shoot. It assumes that all RAW files will be "very" large and according to their tests at the worst case.

You should have seen your camera adjust the remaining space count as you took images and your card filled up. Once the camera has "actual" file sizes to work with, the remainder counter becomes more and more reliable.

I encourage you "not" to try to fill the card until it won't hold any more images. Doing that on a consistent basis, especially if you do any field deletions, can cause image loss as the counter struggles to know the "actual" space remaining. It's not as easy as it seems and the problem is not limited to any particular make or manufacturer.

My own strategy for paying work is to load up any individual card until about 75-80% full, with no file deletions in the field. I then retire that card for the shoot. I also format the cards in the camera prior to use. For personal shooting I am much more lax and flexible and may fill up a card to "nearly" full, but I still do not delete files in the field.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you look at the file sizes for your RAW files you will probably note that they are not all the same size. They will vary according to the image contents of the file.

Your camera simply uses the worst-case scenario in guessing how many images might be available to shoot. It assumes that all RAW files will be "very" large and according to their tests at the worst case.

You should have seen your camera adjust the remaining space count as you took images and your card filled up. Once the camera has "actual" file sizes to work with, the remainder counter becomes more and more reliable.

I encourage you "not" to try to fill the card until it won't hold any more images. Doing that on a consistent basis, especially if you do any field deletions, can cause image loss as the counter struggles to know the "actual" space remaining. It's not as easy as it seems and the problem is not limited to any particular make or manufacturer.

My own strategy for paying work is to load up any individual card until about 75-80% full, with no file deletions in the field. I then retire that card for the shoot. I also format the cards in the camera prior to use. For personal shooting I am much more lax and flexible and may fill up a card to "nearly" full, but I still do not delete files in the field.

Thanks, I understood that the 202 was not exactly right but I was surprised that I went to 270 and still had space left. Aslo with the D3 and the Mark III's, one of the features is to have the overflow capability of going from the first card to the second when the first is full. Are you saying that I should switch them myself when the first get to near full?
    Powered by Smugmug
    Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 23, 2008
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    ... Are you saying that I should switch them myself when the first get to near full?

Yes, that is my recommendation.

If you really don't have the time to switch, or just forget, usually that overflow works fine if you have not erased any files and altered the FAT on the card. I would not trust it as a rule (although some do trust it.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I also think the D3 will shoot in "compressed RAW" so you may need to dig around in your book to see how much space you save if your camera is set to "compressed RAW" instead of uncompressed. It makes quite a bit of difference on the D200, but the "countdown counter" just assumes uncompressed RAW. I'm positive this is so, because I've compared the readout with an empty card with both settings, and there's no difference.

And I did a lot of reading in several publications about compressed vs uncompressed RAW before becoming convinced that I lost nothing useful by going to compressed RAW.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I also think the D3 will shoot in "compressed RAW" so you may need to dig around in your book to see how much space you save if your camera is set to "compressed RAW" instead of uncompressed. It makes quite a bit of difference on the D200, but the "countdown counter" just assumes uncompressed RAW. I'm positive this is so, because I've compared the readout with an empty card with both settings, and there's no difference.

And I did a lot of reading in several publications about compressed vs uncompressed RAW before becoming convinced that I lost nothing useful by going to compressed RAW.

Thanks, It is set on compressed RAW. I'll have to look into this and see if that is what I want.