Options

New here

xmommyxxmommyx Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 24, 2008 in People
Hello everyone, my name is Crystal, I currently reside in Florida with my husband three kids and 14 pets. I am a very very beginner picture taker hehehe. I love to take photos but I still have sooooo much to learn. I hope to be able to post on a regular basis, but I am also a beginner to forums so bear with me as I learn my way around. Here are a few shots I took of the new addition to our family this past weekend. All c&c's welcome!!!

2008-03-20_17-07-10.jpg
Nikon D70
2008/03/20 17:07:10.7
JPEG (8-bit) Normal
Image Size: Large (2000 x 3008)
Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Focal Length: 70mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/80 sec - F/4.5
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 800
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Auto Flash Comp:
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off

2008-03-20_17-35-34.jpg
Nikon D70
2008/03/20 17:35:34.9
JPEG (8-bit) Normal
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
1/250 sec - F/8
Optimize Image: Normal
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Auto Flash Comp:
Image Comment:

2008-03-21_12-57-24.jpg
Nikon D70
2008/03/21 12:57:24.1
JPEG (8-bit) Normal
Focal Length: 60mm
Digital Vari-Program: Auto
1/60 sec - F/4.5
Optimize Image:
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Flash Mode: Built-in, TTL
Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
Image Comment:

2008-03-21_13-18-27.jpg
Nikon D70
2008/03/21 13:18:27.1
JPEG (8-bit) Normal
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Digital Vari-Program: Auto
1/60 sec - F/4.5
Optimize Image:
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Flash Mode: Built-in, TTL
Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
Image Comment:

If I dont need to list all the camera info for pics please let me know. PS, I use paint shop pro and picture project for editing....havent quite got the hand of photoshop yet though I know I probably should LOL. I cant find that many dummy friendly tutorials for ps like I was able to psp LOL.

Comments

• Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Welcome! :) I the the last shot is your best. ADORABLE little one! As for camera info, all we really need to know for good constructive criticism is your shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focal length/lens.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Hi and welcome to the asylum!
    I can't believe you actually have the energy to take photos yourself so soon! Your little one is adorable. Since you asked though, and all in the spirit of helpfulness:

#1 Distracting background spoils a classic newborn shot.
    #2 As if you didn't already know - hideous shadow. Use a diffuser in front of that window!
    #3 A bit "flat"
    #4 Awww . . .

And, as a rule, ISO 800 is not really your friend with the D70. So long as you are so close to your subject and using flash, use ISO 200. I think you'll be happier with the results. The iTTL will take care of things quite nicely.

Congratulations on the baby. Shoot hundreds, and be thankful you aren't shooting film!!!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    xmommyxxmommyx Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2008
    Laughing.gif, this isnt my baby, this is my step sons baby...all of these shots were taken the day he was born in the hospital so getting optimal settings for photos was not possible Laughing.gif, but I do appreciate the critique, I should have been more specific about what was going on while taking the pictures Laughing.gif. There were like 8 people in this hospital room taking turns holding the baby, so I was just sort of running around trying to get what shots that I could. Thanks for the tip about the iso...I will reset it next shots. I hope I dont sound dumb but what is iTTL?

I should say also that when I say I am new...I dont have any fancy equipment or anything just the camera so I sort of have to work with my surroundings. I have so much to learn, I have gone over my owners manual a thousand times and still dont know all the functions of it. I am also really green on photography terms and could not manually set my camera if my life depended on it Laughing.gif...but I am eager to learn so I hope to post more to get feedback so my pictures can get better! Truthfully, I know next to nothing about making sure I get "the shot". In other words, I could never make money with my photos Laughing.gif. But like I said, I am eager to learn and hope to learn a lot from you all!!

Im going to post some pics of my pets I have taken as well, because I dont have the more experienced eye the pictures look great to me but I have no doubt they could be better. Could someone tell me where I would post pics of pets, would they go in the wildlife board or the more cool shots board?