Why is the color so flat in the D300?

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Cameras
Out shooting this weekend, and as the sun was setting the mountains were the brightest redish color I've ever seen them so I took a few pics and on the cameras screen the colors were terible. I figured when I put them on the copmuter maybe they would come out normal, nope! Just as bad.

All of them even the green fields were drab. Yeah I can adjust them but...
is that normal? I tried both adobe and 's' color space. No difference I could tell.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 24, 2008
    Out shooting this weekend, and as the sun was setting the mountains were the brightest redish color I've ever seen them so I took a few pics and on the cameras screen the colors were terible. I figured when I put them on the copmuter maybe they would come out normal, nope! Just as bad.

All of them even the green fields were drab. Yeah I can adjust them but...
    is that normal? I tried both adobe and 's' color space. No difference I could tell.

Without seeing image samples it's kinda hard to know what to recommend.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Haven't had that problem with my D300 shots. As Ziggy suggested you might want to post one of the shots here.

Also your exif data and in-camera settings would be helpful also.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Sorry. I'm a moron!rolleyes1.gif

Somehow I had the WB set to incandescent, A1, 0
    (didnt notice that earlier)

Not sure how that happened. headscratch.gif

I suppose that would explain it.

Delete my post if you want.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Welcome to the club. I've pulled similar and even worse boners myself. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited March 24, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Welcome to the club. I've pulled similar and even worse boners myself. :D
    :D thanksthumb.gif
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Sorry. I'm a moron!rolleyes1.gif

Somehow I had the WB set to incandescent, A1, 0
    (didnt notice that earlier)

Not sure how that happened. headscratch.gif

I suppose that would explain it.

Delete my post if you want.

Are they RAW files? If so you can change the WB in post.
    Tim
    edited March 24, 2008
    Yes, gotta love that RAW!

Does anyone use them expodiscs? (sp?)
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I don't use a expodisc. Save your money and use a frosty pringle type lid or even a frosty coke lid from fast food place.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I don't use a expodisc. Save your money and use a frosty pringle type lid or even a frosty coke lid from fast food place.

You've got to be kidding. Guy's got an $1800 body, and you want to take chances with a frigging piece of plastic that is in no way calibrated?? May as well stick with auto WB.

Get the ExpoDisc. I use it several times a day, and it is spot on. I just shot a project for a bunch of knitters (crazies!) involving dozens of skeins of yarn. All the colors you could imagine. All shot outdoors under changing light conditions over a few days. The cool thing about it was that I could compare the colors of the yarn with my shots just by holding the skein up next to my monitor. Using the ExpoDisc, every one was perfectly color balanced, and I did not have to tweak ONE in post (for WB anyway).
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    There are several options for WB in the field; WhiBal card (Google it), Expodisk, or Colour Balance Coach:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/whibal.shtml

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/WHB/WHB.HTM

http://www.expoimaging.net/

http://www.colorbalancecoach.com/home.htm

I personally use the Colour Balance Coach, but I use the smallest one that is 8 inches diameter when folded out full size. It easily folds into its little pouch that will literally fit into my shirt pocket, so it's very convenient to use in the field. One side is white, the other 18% grey.

If you are serious about colour photography, get some white balance tool, whatever it is.

When shooting at times of the day when the light temperature is unknown (late afternoon or cloudy day), I simply take a shot of the target under the same lighting as my subject. In PP (either Photoshop or Lightroom), just click on the picture of the WB target, and the correct temperature and tint will be displayed to use with the images.

I agree with Icebear - my target costs $20 which pales in comparison with the cost of a lens or body. Even one filter is fives times that cost. Don't go cheap, the person you are cheating is you.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    edited March 25, 2008
    Thanks Glenn and Ice, I will look into them options. We spent several hours at such a neat place and all the colors were off. I converted most of them to B&W, and adjusted the WB on the rest.

Maybe I'll put a few up. Ghost towns are awesome.thumb.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    ... I converted most of them to B&W ...
    gotta love b&w, even if it is just to save shots lol3.gif
    edited March 25, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    You've got to be kidding. Guy's got an $1800 body, and you want to take chances with a frigging piece of plastic that is in no way calibrated?? May as well stick with auto WB.

Get the ExpoDisc. I use it several times a day, and it is spot on. I just shot a project for a bunch of knitters (crazies!) involving dozens of skeins of yarn. All the colors you could imagine. All shot outdoors under changing light conditions over a few days. The cool thing about it was that I could compare the colors of the yarn with my shots just by holding the skein up next to my monitor. Using the ExpoDisc, every one was perfectly color balanced, and I did not have to tweak ONE in post (for WB anyway).

No, I'm not kidding. Unless he is doing proffesional work it's a great way of getting close to correct WB in bad lighting that would otherwise cast bad lighting tint. If he finds he uses it a lot, then getting the real deal would not be a wasted investment. It's better than AWB.

AWB

260416106_TYewG-M.jpg

Plastic Lid

260415999_rmtUi-M.jpg
  • photographiliaphotographilia Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I just use a $5 grey card I bought at a photography store. Works great.
    edited March 25, 2008
    And a new thread
    Wow, can't disagree that your result is better than the auto WB if that's an example of what you're getting from your camera's auto. I'd have to take gentle issue with you though about your implication that only professionals need to get it spot-on.

There's a reason some of us spend three or for times what others of us spend for a body. It's 'cause we want better results from the whole system.

I'll give you this though. If I were caught in the field in a difficult lighting situation and hadn't had the foresight to schlep my Expodisc, I wouldn't refuse the offer of your Pringles lidthumb.gif .

I ran a test this morning on several plastic "Cheapspodisks.". Invested a couple of hours, so I'd really appreciate it if y'all would go over to the Techniques forum and have a look at it here. I think you'll find it interesting.

John
    John :
    edited March 26, 2008
    I'll give you this though. If I were caught in the field in a difficult lighting situation and hadn't had the foresight to schlep my Expodisc, I wouldn't refuse the offer of your Pringles lid .

I almost bought an expodisc. However, I know myself and I would lose it within a week. I just get too distracted by what I am shooting and I would put it down and leave it. So far, I haven't been able to lose the plastic lid. If I do, I just go buy a can of peanuts that have the frosty lids.

I understand about getting the most and the best out of equipment. For me, I would rather spend the money on better glass. If I can get the colors in the ballpark, it makes it easier in post processing to get the colors correct.
  • QameraQamera Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    About that ExpoDisc
    Icebear wrote:

This may be a separate topic, but I'll start here anyhow. That ExpoDisc sounds great. I'm about to do some similar photography. Some of it will be viewed on computers (web-site), so that sounds perfect. But others will appear in print (brochure). How do I match the 'actual' and 'monitor' colors, to print? (Have I opened a can of worms? Can you answer this in 30 words or less?)

Thanks in advance...
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Qamera wrote:
    This may be a separate topic, but I'll start here anyhow. That ExpoDisc sounds great. I'm about to do some similar photography. Some of it will be viewed on computers (web-site), so that sounds perfect. But others will appear in print (brochure). How do I match the 'actual' and 'monitor' colors, to print? (Have I opened a can of worms? Can you answer this in 30 words or less?)

Thanks in advance...

Differnent can of worms. This isnt just WB, but monitor calibration and ICC profiles. You will want to make sure your monitor is calbrated, using a Huey or Sypder device (search Dgrin). You also want to make sure you soft proof using the ICC profile for your printer or service (see here) . Do some searching here on DGrin, plenty of info.

I use the Whitbal, and rather happy with it. Its great to drop into my scene as a white balance reference to use in post. I don't often use Custom WB on my camera, as I often forget to update it as time passes or forget and leave it on resulting in screwy photos later. I just prefer to handle in post later, but this depends on haveing a WB reference in a photo. I shoot only RAW anyway, so this works for me.
  • QameraQamera Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Thanks
    cmason wrote:
    Differnent can of worms. This isnt just WB, but monitor calibration and ICC profiles. You will want to make sure your monitor is calbrated, using a Huey or Sypder device (search Dgrin). You also want to make sure you soft proof using the ICC profile for your printer or service (see here) . Do some searching here on DGrin, plenty of info.

I use the Whitbal, and rather happy with it. Its great to drop into my scene as a white balance reference to use in post. I don't often use Custom WB on my camera, as I often forget to update it as time passes or forget and leave it on resulting in screwy photos later. I just prefer to handle in post later, but this depends on haveing a WB reference in a photo. I shoot only RAW anyway, so this works for me.

This leads to another question. How do external printing services (such as SmugMug) handle color correction? I did a test print and was very impressed with both the quality and the color 'closeness', although some of the shots seemed slightly over-saturated (which is fine for a computer monitor but not for a print).
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Qamera wrote:
    This leads to another question. How do external printing services (such as SmugMug) handle color correction? I did a test print and was very impressed with both the quality and the color 'closeness', although some of the shots seemed slightly over-saturated (which is fine for a computer monitor but not for a print).

http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-red
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-problems
    edited March 26, 2008
    Qamera wrote:
    How do I match the 'actual' and 'monitor' colors, to print? (Have I opened a can of worms? Can you answer this in 30 words or less?)

Thanks in advance...

Others have already responded, so I'll just add that you can never control the "crappiness level" of the viewers' monitors. Just get YOUR system properly managed, so YOUR monitor matches YOUR prints, and you have to hope your viewers have reasonably close monitors.
    John :
    edited March 26, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I almost bought an expodisc. However, I know myself and I would lose it within a week. I just get too distracted by what I am shooting and I would put it down and leave it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm always losing lens covers. The Expodisc has a little loop on it that you can run a lanyard through. I have a quick release on mine, but it usually resides in my breast pocket, with the lanyard around my neck.
    John :