light from above

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in People
I am thinking what these pictures need is a little more light from above/ behind to separate the dark hair from the background. My question is this: anyone know a good way to accomplish this? This is not a studio; it is my dining room. I have a extra flash but I don't know any good way to get it where it needs to be.

269420158_eE2WH-M.jpg
269410393_LskrX-M.jpg

269417473_m2w7p-M.jpg

269413628_NrYew-M.jpg

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    What color is your ceiling. Perhaps bounce a flash off the ceiling for some hair light effect which should give you some separation.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I will try that. I didn't think that woudl be enough. the color will work.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I put one light behind the subjects (off to one side) and way up high, pointing down at the subjects, to accomplish this. That's my favorite light set-up--one light at a 45 degree angle behind the subject (up high), another light directly across from it at a 45 degree angle in FRONT of the subject, and a big old reflector on the other side. I'm not sure if there's anything official about this set-up, but it works for me.
    edited March 24, 2008
    My struggle is talking my wife into leting me nail a bracket on the wall behind to hold a flash!

Do you have an exmple of a pic with that light set up?
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I don't have a pic; I'll try to take one tomorrow before or after my session. I don't have anything in the wall, though. I just crank a light stand way up. And then make sure no one trips over it! Laughing.gif
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    While not providing any hair/rim light effect, you could light the background to achieve more separation too. It even works on black backgrounds.

This is good to know in case you don't want or need the hairlight in your shot (for a bald guy as an example).
    edited March 25, 2008
    hmmm. . .

I am thinking about that one. I will try it, but, i want the background totally black and photoshop it (levels) it to get it totally black. If you light it. . . hmmmm. . .
    edited March 25, 2008
    Here is another attempt. This is a flash behind pointing straight forward.

Two problems I see:
    1) it is a bit too hot
    2) there is some light leaking around on her right cheek

270105962_Ljhgi-M.jpg
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I know it doesn't make sense, but you can achieve a black BG and separation by simply lighting the backdrop. Black is without color, not necessarily without light. You are simply lighting the black to make it stand out behind your subjects....