Options

SE: using a browser other than IE

victorvictor Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
Great tool! Well done!!

I'm looking forward to many free hours not having to feed my browser with pictures (the Java uploader worked once or twice for me but now refuses to load properly).

Is there a way to have a non-IE browser popping up when the "Online" functions are used? I've got Firefox as my default, but SE still starts IE.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Using other browser than IE
    victor wrote:
    Great tool! Well done!!

I'm looking forward to many free hours not having to feed my browser with pictures (the Java uploader worked once or twice for me but now refuses to load properly).

Is there a way to have a non-IE browser popping up when the "Online" functions are used? I've got Firefox as my default, but SE still starts IE.
    Actually I thought my code already does it...headscratch.gif
    I will look into this tonight, thank you for pointing this out!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    I looked again..
    victor wrote:
    SE uses the following logic when opening web-page, depending on (Tools menu | Options dialog |Miscellaneous tab) "Open URLs in a New Browser Window" checkbox.

If it's checked, SE looks for your default browser via the followong registry setting:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command

And if this key exists and point to an existing file, it tries to launch it with the web page as a parameter.

If the option above is not checked, or registry key is invalid, or executable is missing, SE simply "opens" the web page, as is you typed the URL in Start|Run window.

I guess, in your case both these methods are launching IE, but I honestly don't know how to find other installed browsers...

Any idea is appreciated!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"