Sunrise over Mt. Rainier

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in Landscapes
269686540_SjbTQ-L.jpg

And now the backstory that no one cares about.

I woke up at 3:30 AM last Saturday, and couldn't fall back asleep. I had to meet someone about 30 miles south at 9 AM, so I thought that I should ponder a good location for a sunrise (the weather was mostly clear and the forecast called for about 40% cloud cover, had I not checked this out when I woke up at 3:30 AM, I probably would have fallen back asleep, but I got excited for a potentially awesome sunrise).

I remembered when driving to Northwest Trek (a zoo/wildlife park in Eatonville, about an hour from Mt. Rainier National Park) that there was a lake (Clear Lake) just to the north that reflected Mt. Rainier when it was visible.

So, I left home at around 5AM, get there just after 6AM, only to find out that the entire lake shore opposite Rainier is fenced off! On the satellite map, and from my vague recollection (I had only driven by the lake, I had never stopped there before), I thought there was a public dock that people used for swimming and fishing that I could either shoot from directly or use within my composition. The problem is it was now 100 feet away behind a 6-foot tall fence topped with barbed-wire (the reason for the fence: a new house under construction, right by the dock, that they didn't want people stealing equipment/parts from that were laying around, and since it's not fishing season, and it's too cold to swim, I guess they didn't care, or, even more distressing, it's possible that the entire spot will now be private and not accessible to the general public. Maybe it was like that all the time, but I didn't like finding out at 6AM an hour away on 3 hours sleep!).

I drove all around the lake, and it was all private property, with no access to the shore, except for a small boat launch that was too narrow for any compositions and didn't show Rainier very well.

So, I found a small hole in the fence that I could stick my lens through (but not my entire body, though I did look for one), and gave me about 3 variations on the same composition, and basically eliminated any wide angle shots. I tried a few shots from the shoulder of the highway (where I could just barely get over the fence with my tripod at 7 feet or so with the center column fully extended, using Live View to focus and compose). The trucks were going by a little too fast and I was a little too close to the road and figured any photo award wouldn't be worth the Darwin award I was about to receive, so that experiment didn't last long.

After the sun had lifted over the horizon a bit, I had about 30 minutes to kill so I drove around scouting for future locations, about 10 minutes into my scouting trip, I noticed some cool backlit fog and pulled over to the shoulder and took this shot:

269687093_247V7-L.jpg

Ultimately I came away happy with the photos, but not the experience, the good news is the photos last forever and the experience only a few hours :D

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Very nice shots. Would that be Liberty Ridge on the left upper skyline? Just trying to orient myself. Don't get to see Rainier as often as I'd like.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    That first shot is absolutely stunning, and worthy of any contortions that you had to go through to get it! Congrats.

ann
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    As always, great shots Ron! And I especailly like that second one.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Very nice shots. Would that be Liberty Ridge on the left upper skyline? Just trying to orient myself. Don't get to see Rainier as often as I'd like.
    I believe so, yes.

Here's where the lake is on the map:

http://tinyurl.com/yoz9o3
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    the good news is the photos last forever and the experience only a few hours :D
    In a way that is true! lol3.gif At least when it comes to harrumphing and frustration and all the irritating bits. Let the good times live on. thumb.gif

Lovely shots, and you underestimate the power of a good sunrise story. I think the run-around was well worth it. :D
  • TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    lovely first shot - well worth it - well done
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Great shot !!
    clap.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    In a way that is true! lol3.gif At least when it comes to harrumphing and frustration and all the irritating bits. Let the good times live on. thumb.gif

Lovely shots, and you underestimate the power of a good sunrise story. I think the run-around was well worth it. :D
    At least I remembered my tripod plate this time :D If it had been a crappy location or conditions I wouldn't have got so frustrated.

But as soon as there was a little pre-dawn light and I saw Rainier emerge from the shadows (it's HUGE, and its sudden emergence was very dramatic), after five minutes of staring at it I was like "AGHHH!!! I need to find some place where I can shoot!!!"

I know they call it the magic "hour" but it's more like the magic "20 minutes" and I knew I didn't have much time, I was working on three hours of sleep after driving an hour, and it was too dark for me to navigate without a flashlight, and every entrace I tried was blocked for some reason, and AGHHH!!!

But yes, ultimately it was worth it. I should know better than expect things to work out perfectly at a location I've never been before, but I'm stupid that way.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the positive comments! I might attempt the location again when I head to Mt. Rainier National Park later this year shooting wildflowers.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Beautiful clap.gif It was worth the trip...getting up early, etc.

A photo I would be proud to bring home to :D