269737724_qHsym-L.jpg

269737647_N2Pbs-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    Powerful message.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    that is an awesome shot! Especially because he had that tattooed it on!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Agreed very powerful, what did his other arm read?
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    Agreed very powerful, what did his other arm read?

here ya go:

270138520_9HJ9k-L.jpg
    edited March 27, 2008
    Let me remind everyone that this is a photography forum. There are thousands of other Web sites where you can discuss politics if you like.

Clear?
  • Kevin L. KitchensKevin L. Kitchens Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Great photo! wings.gif
    Kevin L. Kitchens
    "Know me through my lens."
    My smugmug: http://peiklk.smugmug.com
    My site: http://www.photographyvoice.com [POTD, Blog, News, & more!]
  • sle39lvrsle39lvr Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Very inspiring! Thanks for posting those.
  • JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    sorry if my post stirred controversy. i shoot a lot of pj in dc and just wanted to show what i see almost daily around here.

thanks for all the comments!
  • HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    very nice, thanks for sharing!
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    It is a cool shot, I would like to see more especially from DC! thumb.gif Everybody has a shot of all the buildings, I like to see the real life stuff.

mod ediy - off topic material delted
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Dgrin is a photography forum. I was hoping that the off topic discussion would cease but since it hasn't I've deleted the off topic discussion.

Lets talk about the photographic merits or demerits of the image.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Let me remind everyone that this is a photography forum. There are thousands of other Web sites where you can discuss politics if you like.

Clear?

I didn't see anyone posting anything that involved politics.

thats some good P.J. work though, nice capture.

edit: ok apparently i underestimated the speed and effeciency of the dgin mod crew. i'll never make that mistake again!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Love is really powerful just amazing thing
    Btw nice shot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Clear?

Blah! what this forum needs is a bit more depth instead of the usual "it's not sharp... " talk. How can you discuss the strong and weak points of a photojournalistic image without taking in the message and politics it represents? IMO these are intwined and as long as everybody keeps their respect for one another what is the problem about going into the message a photo brings?

The greatest photo's all had powerfull messages. if we do not encourage each other to look further than the technical aspects, how can we learn to make powerfull images? ne_nau.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited March 28, 2008
    Blah! what this forum needs is a bit more depth instead of the usual "it's not sharp... " talk. How can you discuss the strong and weak points of a photojournalistic image without taking in the message and politics it represents? IMO these are intwined and as long as everybody keeps their respect for one another what is the problem about going into the message a photo brings?

The greatest photo's all had powerfull messages. if we do not encourage each other to look further than the technical aspects, how can we learn to make powerfull images? ne_nau.gif
    Chris,

I agree with you. Art that has no context can be sterile. The posts that were edited or deleted did not address the relationship of the image to the social context, however. They were only discussing the context, and that's what I and other moderators found inappropriate for this forum. As a card-carrying mushy headed liberal, I loathe everything that smacks of censorship, but as a moderator I have a responsibility to keep the forum focused on photography.
    edited March 28, 2008
    OK, so here's something to think about that came up in a private exchange I had with Adrian_K. Adrian thought that having a flag in the background of the tattoo shot could be perceived as contradictory to the message of world peace. That hadn't occurred to me, but I think it's a valid point. The second shot makes it clear that the flag is upside down, an old symbol of distress. But in the second shot, it isn't possible to read the tattoo. So in order to get the whole story, you need to look at both pics. Is there a way Jon could have shot this to compress all the important elements of these two shots into a single frame? ne_nau.gif