Upload Issues

jimwallingfordjimwallingford Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited March 29, 2008 in SmugMug Support
What do you guys use to upload your images to your site? I have tried a few of the ones here and I seem to have an issue with them. I have Events that containe 1,000 + files in them, after they have uploaded I have to go back through and delete 800+ duplicates. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    What do you guys use to upload your images to your site? I have tried a few of the ones here and I seem to have an issue with them. I have Events that containe 1,000 + files in them, after they have uploaded I have to go back through and delete 800+ duplicates. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jim
    Simple uploader on PC and MacDaddy on the Mac: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-pictures

Which one are you using getting these results?
  • jimwallingfordjimwallingford Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Simple uploader on PC and MacDaddy on the Mac: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-pictures

Which one are you using getting these results?

The latest was the Send to Smug Mug doubled just about every picture, I first tried the Simple but that seemed way too slow. Right now I have an upload going using the drag and drop other than timing out it seems to be doing the job.

I would like an idea what you guys use, My season is starting this weekend and I need something quick and reliable.

Thanks
    Jim
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    The latest was the Send to Smug Mug doubled just about every picture, I first tried the Simple but that seemed way too slow.
    Jim

The send to smugmug problem seems to be a recurring theme. I stopped using the product because of it. I had used it for the last couple years but the newest version seems to have this problem (among others).

The last couple galleries I've used the simple uploader. My experience on speed is hit/miss with any of the uploaders. It's the nature of uploading - sometimes my ISP is slow and sometimes things are slow at smugmug's end.

Try the simple uploader again and see if you still get slow results a second time.
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    I've had similar issues as well - I've got hundreds of pictures to upload at a time, as well as an ISP which likes to drop my line from time to time. While my router'll reconnect pretty fast, when this happens, all the "stock" uploaders may or may not work, or fail silently - which means I have to manually go back and look for "holes" in the batches of pictures :argue.

I've tried StarExplorer, and while it's nice as far as it goes, I've had issues with it as well - particularly when something's gone awry between it and SM, or not even then - the last time I tried uploading a batch of 1000 pics, it got to the end of the batch and then started over again - creating all kinds of duplicates!

Now I'm using the Lightroom plugin, and while the integration is nice, what's not nice is that it'll stop at the first error it runs into and then I have to manually find the picture it stopped on, and restart it by hand.

So while I really like SM as a sevice, I'm frustrated that there doesn't seem to be any industrial-grade uploader that SM supports, which does error logging, retries, and all the other things that are commonly available on the myriad of non-SM downloaders out there.

All I want to do is tell it to send the files, go away overnight, and then have the uploader tell me why some of the images didn't get uploaded when I come back.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc