Should I get the D80 or save up for the D200?

CoobieCoobie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 25, 2008 in Cameras
Hello all! First post on the site so go easy on me!!:D

I am somewhat new to photography. I bought a D40 and loved it. I was shooting full manual and taking some decent shots (at least I thought so!). I felt the need to upgrade and just sold my D40 setup. I want to upgrade and thought that I was just going to step into the D80, but Ive been looking more and more at the D200. Its a bit more $$, but I really like it.

I'm not a baller so I dont have $$ to throw away. Should I wait and get the D200 or get the D80 and focus on good glass???

Thanks in advance for your advice!:thumb

Matt

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Coobie wrote:
    go easy on me!!:D

Not gonna happen

Thanks in advance for your advice!thumb.gif

Matt

Well, if you'd asked the question BEFORE you sold your D40, I'd agree that "thanks" was in advance.

I shoot with a D200, and am in the process of getting a D300. That being said, my advice is, if you can't afford a D300, go with the D80 and better glass. That is, of course, unless you tend to brutalize your equipment. In that case the magnesium construction of the D200 may be worth it.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    go with the D80 and better glass.

15524779-Ti.gif

Get some good glass - will do more for you in my opinion if you are on a budget than having a D200 with sub-par glass.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    D80 and better glass.

I wish you would have posted before you sold the D40. Unless photography is a profession, theres not much difference quality wise between a d40, d80, and d200. The differences are subtle and more in the ease of use area like having better controls at your fingertips.

Better glass is a bigger upgrade than camera bodies for most users.
  • whispersfromspiritwhispersfromspirit Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2008
    Coobie wrote:
    Hello all! First post on the site so go easy on me!!:D

I'm not a baller so I dont have $$ to throw away. Should I wait and get the D200 or get the D80 and focus on good glass???

Thanks in advance for your advice!thumb.gif

Matt

Hi Matt,
    New here also. My advice would be to get the D80 unless you really need the ruggedness and weatherproofing of the D200. I don't think that there is too much difference in the image quality of the D80 versus the D200. The D300 on the other hand is a major improvement imo(I do use the D300 and the D200 as a backup right now). Like some others have said here, good glass is more important imo. thumb.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Just thought I would also mention that the D80 is a wonderful camera. Don't feel like you are settling with it. You will be extremely happy with the results.:D
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I asked the same question a few months ago, only I had a D70 that had been roughed up on too many times and was ready for a replacement. After breaking my D70 I felt like I wanted a more solid camera, and a camera I wouldn't be terrified to use in a little rain, so I went with the D200. There was also the fact that I had a bunch of CF cards and no SD cards (both the D70 and D200 take CF cards). However the D40 and D80 both take SD cards; one more cost consideration to think about.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    IIRC the D80 and the D200 has the same 10MP CCD sensor and hence if you shoot in RAW, the image quality should be the same.

Unless there are features on the D200 you want/need over the D80 and it's worth the cost, I'd get the D80 and spend the rest on glass.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    IIRC the D80 and the D200 has the same 10MP CCD sensor and hence if you shoot in RAW, the image quality should be the same.

Not quite the same sensor, but very similar image IQ. The sensor in the D200 can be read much faster than the sensor in the D80, helping improve the throughput of the D200.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I was reading the test at dpreview on A100 where they suspect that it's the same sensor as the Nikon D200's.
    No firm confirmations though.
    Never the less, I suspect about the same IQ from both the D80 and D200 with no processing and same lens/exposure.