Colors changing after switch to Mac and MkIII

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited March 25, 2008 in SmugMug Support
With regards to this series, and frankly, other series that I've processed since switching from Windos to a MacBook Pro, and also switched from a 30D to a 1D MkIII. I've been shooting RAW since the 1D switch, too.
Screenshot from my Mac
picture1pw5.jpg
LEFT: Lightroom RIGHT: Firefox SmugMug

I know there are color ramifications to post processing using Mac vs. Windows, and also S-RGB vs. Adobe. I've read SmugMug's write-ups on color, but I still have a nagging feeling that my colors look less saturated once up on SmugMug vs. my Mac screen vs. prints I make myself on a Stylus Pro.

The image I link to above, for instance, looks looks less saturated, dull or pasty - I'm not sure how to say it. The side-by-side above is definitely showing the change. I'm pretty sure this is a color-space problem, but I'm pretty sure I'm S-RGB from camera to Lightroom to exported JPG. But if you tell me I must have missed a step somewhere, I'll go back and check again.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Hi,

This is a long, but imporant thread for you to read:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82126
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Ooh- that's a doosie of a thread!!
    Almost to the end of it, I had the idea to take a look at my gallery in Safari. I think the photo looks right! But the thumbnail looks washed out - is that possible? Is the color info embedded in the resized S, M, L, etc. sizes but not the thumbnail?

(ok - back to finishing that thread)
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I just feel like jumping off a bridge, now. Thanks, Andy.

rolleyes1.gif
    I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing different, and all the remarks like "what's normal?", "to whom?", etc. have basically stiffled any questions I might have because they sound too simplistic. I guess, "I just want it to work" is not a reasonable statement!?
    I'll check back from time to time and see if anyone manages to come up with a suscinct, pragmatic response.