Rocky Mountain National Park - Dragon's Tooth Couloir

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in Landscapes
I've finally been getting more and more into photography and have had a lot of chances to practice this winter season. I've been mostly shooting skiing action shots - I finally got an ultra-wide angle lens (Tamron 11-18mm) for my Canon 40D (mostly to take more dramatic skiing shots) and have started taking some landscape shots. Here's my first attempt yesterday in the Rocky Mountain National Park off of Bear Lake Trailhead - we skied the couloir to the right in the first picture :)

Would appreciate any kind of feedback - postive, negative, constructive!
Thanks!
-bernardo

269931237_rQ2JP-XLarge.jpg

270178462_wWmNj-XLarge.jpg

270178825_WGvVQ-XLarge.jpg

270179249_YgsXL-XLarge.jpg
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I wish I could a been with youmwink.gif Great location and wind action for skiing shots. I would have liked to seen a skier under the rocks in the first shot which I think is a great composition.
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I wish I could a been with youmwink.gif Great location and wind action for skiing shots. I would have liked to seen a skier under the rocks in the first shot which I think is a great composition.

Believe me, I would've loved for you to be there... And definitely believe me, I would've loved for someone in my group to sack up and ski that line in the first picture so I could photograph it. Unfortunately nobody did, I had to take the picture and then ski that line myself ;)

The wind was indeed blowing mad strong, I wasn't sure how to handle it in postprocessing, whether I should heal/clone the sky or whether it actually looks good with the wind blowing like that. We had about 40mph winds on top of Flat Top mountain :D It was my first time shooting landscapes primarily and definitely a good learning experience (see previous skiing action shots at http://bernardo.smugmug.com).

Thanks for the comment!
    -bernardo
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Great
    Believe me, I would've loved for you to be there... And definitely believe me, I would've loved for someone in my group to sack up and ski that line in the first picture so I could photograph it. Unfortunately nobody did, I had to take the picture and then ski that line myself ;)

The wind was indeed blowing mad strong, I wasn't sure how to handle it in postprocessing, whether I should heal/clone the sky or whether it actually looks good with the wind blowing like that. We had about 40mph winds on top of Flat Top mountain :D It was my first time shooting landscapes primarily and definitely a good learning experience (see previous skiing action shots at http://bernardo.smugmug.com).

Thanks for the comment!
    -bernardo

I am glad you left it the way you did. As a skiier/boarder and climber, I like the rawness of the image, and it helps me feel the location and conditions. We should shoot together one of these years....I would love to have some shots of me hucking as I am sure you would as well! I just spent the last month doucmenting cat skiing operations in Idaho and BC, and got some amazing shots, and after getting so many first tracks, began to wish that there was another shooter along...
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

edited March 25, 2008
    I am glad you left it the way you did. As a skiier/boarder and climber, I like the rawness of the image, and it helps me feel the location and conditions. We should shoot together one of these years....I would love to have some shots of me hucking as I am sure you would as well! I just spent the last month doucmenting cat skiing operations in Idaho and BC, and got some amazing shots, and after getting so many first tracks, began to wish that there was another shooter along...

Gary, Don't be surprised if I'll take you up on that offer - I'd love to ski with another photographer! Exactly like you said, I love to photograph other good skiers hucking big cliffs or skiing exposed lines - but I would also love to see myself in a photograph taken by an able photographer!

Hit me up whenever you come this way (I'm in Boulder, Colorado) and I'll make sure to hit you up when I head your way (which way's that? :)_ )
    -bernardo
    Bogen 055XPROB
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Spokane is due West of ya!
    Gary, Don't be surprised if I'll take you up on that offer - I'd love to ski with another photographer! Exactly like you said, I love to photograph other good skiers hucking big cliffs or skiing exposed lines - but I would also love to see myself in a photograph taken by an able photographer!

Hit me up whenever you come this way (I'm in Boulder, Colorado) and I'll make sure to hit you up when I head your way (which way's that? :)_ )
    -bernardo

Cool! I am based out of Spokane, but travel all the time. I will be in the Salt Lake area April 24-28th, and will shoot a bot there before I head over to Moab for some tower action.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 26, 2008
    I really like that first shot as well. About the only thing I wish is that it was a
    little wider to capture the expanse. I think you need about a 14mm and one
    crazy skier in that shot thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    That first one is intense! thumb.gif

~Eia~
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I agree, I like them all and that first shot is very powerful, I've only ever skied once and it scared the life out of me and the thought of being in the position you were when you took that picture makes my knees go wobbly.

Great sense of scale and drama, love it!

Charlie
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    thumb.gif Awesome Images. Gotta love deep blue skies and snow. Something about it is awe inspiring.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Ah the infamous Dragons Tooth Couloir. Gives me shudders even thinking back to those long ago days when I ventured along the continental divide and Flattop and Hallets in the winter. Great capture. Being a Longs Peak lover, of course, that shot is my favorite thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited March 28, 2008
    Thanks so much for the comments guys, sorry for the late reply - was out on another 3-day backcountry trip, hopefully more scenics to come.

I'm personally very proud of #1. Lucky shot! I'm glad someone recognized Long's Peak in the background!! :) I'm going to work on some different post processing to bring some of the detail in the snow back - I've been doing postproc work on a non-calibrated and very bright LCD and I know I've been messing some of it up.

-b
    Bogen 055XPROB