Constant Aperture and DOF

frofanfrofan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited March 25, 2008 in Cameras
I recently purchased a Nikkor 18-200 VR lens, but I'm now having second thoughts about my purchase, and may return it for a constant aperture lens. I'm mostly doing sporting events and some nature / landscape work. Is it possible to get a full DOF with a constant aperture lens, like the 17-55 f/2.8? The other lens I was looking at was the 80-200 F/2.8 for my sporting events. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! All purchases will be made through BHPhoto. Thanks!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    frofan wrote:
    I recently purchased a Nikkor 18-200 VR lens, but I'm now having second thoughts about my purchase, and may return it for a constant aperture lens. I'm mostly doing sporting events and some nature / landscape work. Is it possible to get a full DOF with a constant aperture lens, like the 17-55 f/2.8? The other lens I was looking at was the 80-200 F/2.8 for my sporting events. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! All purchases will be made through BHPhoto. Thanks!

Constant aperture doesn't prevent you from setting a smaller aperture to obtain greater DOF. It just means that wide open, the lens has the same maximum aperture regardless of the focal length.
  • LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    And yet another thing to remember is that with different focal lengths, your DOF changes- meaning that at 20mm, f/2.8 would have larger DOF than at 200mm.
  • museratomuserato Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    You should take a look at this calculator:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

It will give you an idea of what DOF does based on focal lenght for your particuar camera.