Options

How do you create this effect?

PhoberPhober Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited March 27, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm quite fond of this style, espectially the first photo shown here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1005&message=27132152

Does anyone know of any photoshop tutorials for this, or can anyone explain how to achieve that?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Just messing around with a Raw in Lightroom I got this in about 5 minutes. Saved a preset to use again. I could upload the XMP somehow.

Its mostly de-saturating each color in HSL then using Split toning.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Guys if these are NOT YOUR OWN photos then please remove them now & use a link to the photo only. D/grin has a strict policy of not posting others peoples photos.

Thankyou.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Guys if these are NOT YOUR OWN photos then please remove them now & use a link to the photo only. D/grin has a strict policy of not posting others peoples photos.

Thankyou.

Its my photo.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Its my photo.
    Thankyou arodney..i wasnt sure thus i didnt delete it. Phober is the first photo yours ?
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Its my photo.

hey, pretty cool....

im glad it took you only five minutes to do that....im going to try tonight, can you give me a head start on those settings?

btw, very nice photo.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    hey, pretty cool....

im glad it took you only five minutes to do that....im going to try tonight, can you give me a head start on those settings?

btw, very nice photo.

Here's the entire edit list from Lightroom. Note I'm doing a bit of "back and forth" here to match the appearance of the sample. Note also that the FIRST edit called Desaturate All Colors HLS is a preset I built that simply does a desaturate by moving ALL color sliders to -100 saturation in HLS instead of using the Grayscale option to desaturate. That's important.

Note also, when messing around to produce a color rendering, all sliders are Kosher, including those in the Calibrate Tab which did a LOT to make this all work. This is off a Canon 5D, your mileage may vary.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    Here's the "before" image. You can do A LOT with just ACR/LR rendering controls.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    Any tips for doing this in photoshop?
    I've been messing around with it all afternoon and haven't had any luck yet.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    Phober wrote:
    Any tips for doing this in photoshop?

Photoshop? Oh, I don't use it all that much anymore thanks to LR <g>

I have no idea how to do it there and wouldn't even want to start. Its SO much faster and easier to experiment just building sets of rendering instructions. An example below (2nd being this odd green effect). This is all done in minutes, all without involving the need to open huge pixel based images and allowing one to simply copy and paste the new presets to other images. There's one Raw and all the iterations below are just Virtual Copies (they take up no disk space as images).
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    thanks for that info, you just saved me hours.....(not five minutes like what it took u:D )

very cool look.

btw, i use a 5d also:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    This is essentially a cross-process look with some texture layered over the image. If you have PS CS3, I noticed they added a cross-process preset in their Curves Adjustment presets. Create a curves adjustment layer and choose "Cross Process" from the dropdown (or Cross Color--only saw it once so memory is hazy) and tweak from there. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Here's the entire edit list from Lightroom. Note I'm doing a bit of "back and forth" here to match the appearance of the sample. Note also that the FIRST edit called Desaturate All Colors HLS is a preset I built that simply does a desaturate by moving ALL color sliders to -100 saturation in HLS instead of using the Grayscale option to desaturate. That's important.

Note also, when messing around to produce a color rendering, all sliders are Kosher, including those in the Calibrate Tab which did a LOT to make this all work. This is off a Canon 5D, your mileage may vary.

i didnt get it even close....

am i misunderstanding this?

i moved all hsl sliders to -100 (hue sat, lumi)
    then made adjustments that you listed...
    (i used the value on the right of the two number values listed in the column)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    I e-mailed the photographer of the picture of interest, and he was so kind as to give me a detailed response.

In short, you make the photo black and white, and overexpose the highlights becasue it gets a lot darker later. Then add noise, and adjust the background using levels. Then use filters to give it a tint of colour, depending on what attitude you're trying to achieve.
    Then, pick a highlight colour with the eyedropper, and use a grunge brush to make a layer of grunge to complete the look.

If I can get one to look good, I'll post it up.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    i didnt get it even close....

am i misunderstanding this?

i moved all hsl sliders to -100 (hue sat, lumi)
    then made adjustments that you listed...
    (i used the value on the right of the two number values listed in the column)

JUST Sat.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Phober wrote:
    I e-mailed the photographer of the picture of interest, and he was so kind as to give me a detailed response.

In short, you make the photo black and white, and overexpose the highlights becasue it gets a lot darker later. Then add noise, and adjust the background using levels. Then use filters to give it a tint of colour, depending on what attitude you're trying to achieve.
    Then, pick a highlight colour with the eyedropper, and use a grunge brush to make a layer of grunge to complete the look.

If I can get one to look good, I'll post it up.

getter done! (and share your tute):D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    JUST Sat.

i suspected:D i give it a try tonight....

ne_nau.gif so many many variables!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Heres a quick one I did for a test. Not bad for a first try. This could be a lot of fun, I'm glad I'm getting the hang of it.
    Just gotta find me some better grunge brushes now . . .
    mycar2.jpg
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I really like this treatment. I'll definitely need to take a portrait and try it out.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Getting better I think
    DSC04906copy.jpg