Comments

• Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Osprey wrote:
    Any one try the WhiBal?

Works great.

WWW.WhiBal.com

Also there is great educational stuff on topics from Lightroom to Raw shooting

Mention my name "Roger Galburt" and you might get free shipping or something.

This guy is v e r y knowledgeable about technical stuff having to do with anything Digital

Have fun :D:D:D

Thanks for this link....I viewed all the turtorial videos and found them helpful for my non-pro understanding of WB.

It would be fascinating to see a head-to-head comparison of the same photos/equipment/lighting/conditions using the WhiBal card versus using Chris's snap-on thingy (with and without sticky-flash gels).

I'm sure there are other competitive products out there, but the Dgrin threads have introduced me to these two, and even as a amateur I'm inclined to purchase either (or both) at this point.
  • Options
    Jennifer GriggJennifer Grigg Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2008
    I would love to see the expo disc tested with some of the various targets available, after tax time of course.

What would be the advantage to using a balance target with gray, white and black targets like Ed Pierce sells, as opposed to a straight digital gray card?

Aren't all targets designed to be white balanced once the photo is in the computer, depending on what software you use the dropper in?

That makes it seem like there is two schools of white balancing—

1. in camera, where raw or jpeg are usable

2. post-processing, where only raw is appropriate.

Great thread.thumb.gif

First post.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I would love to see the expo disc tested with some of the various targets available, after tax time of course.

What would be the advantage to using a balance target with gray, white and black targets like Ed Pierce sells, as opposed to a straight digital gray card?

Aren't all targets designed to be white balanced once the photo is in the computer, depending on what software you use the dropper in?

Great thread.thumb.gif

First post.
    The targets with real white and black allows one, in post processing, to better determine their white and black points - can be some very useful information.
  • Options
    OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I have a WhiBal card, and I use it a lot to balance the greys (midtones). I have access to a color checker at work and checked out all three color swatches (White, black, and gray) and on the LAB scale, found them to be very close to the readings found on the card. I have one small issue with the card: I often don't get to place it at the perfect perpendicular to the photographic plane of my picture (I'm shooting outside a lot) and as a result, the white and black swatches get blown out by some of the light sources due to them being on a printed sticker that is placed on one edge of the card. This sticker has a glossy finish as opposed to the textured finish of the gray. Is there some reason that the white and black are this way? I would think that a satin finish on these patches would be slightly better.
    Ozone
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Ozone wrote:
    This sticker has a glossy finish as opposed to the textured finish of the gray. Is there some reason that the white and black are this way? I would think that a satin finish on these patches would be slightly better.

They address that issue in the info on their website. They did it on purpose.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008

A target like the Photovision Digital Calibration Target with white, grey & black allows you to set, not only white balance, but exposure, very accurately using the histogram in your camera. And no, targets are not only for post processing use. You can use a white, grey, black target to preset WB. If you read the info on Photovision's website, it'll 'splain it better than I could.

Welcome to DGrin Jennifer!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Jennifer GriggJennifer Grigg Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    A target like the Photovision Digital Calibration Target with white, grey & black allows you to set, not only white balance, but exposure, very accurately using the histogram in your camera. And no, targets are not only for post processing use. You can use a white, grey, black target to preset WB. If you read the info on Photovision's website, it'll 'splain it better than I could.

Welcome to DGrin Jennifer!

Thank you Mr. Bear! Great to be here!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 1, 2008

Great thread.thumb.gif

First post.

Jennifer, welcome to dgrin.

Icebear's thread about the Expodisk and other potential white balance tools led me to post this thread, which I propose to work further on over the next month or so.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin