Options

Pricing when Smugmug offers additional Product

JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So I just got a print order on a event I shot a year ago. Yep good news. The bad news is that since SM decided to offer additional print options since then, my customer got a steal (on certain prints), $.01 over my cost. Yep, customer is pretty happy. Probably shaking their head as to why a 12x12 print is $1.30 LESS than what I charged for a 4x6. I know I would.

Smugmug, when you add additional print options, you need to $0.00 them out so they are not available to the public for sale until we the pro photographers decide what to charge for them. Or at the very least send us an email to let us know this can be an issue.

I would really like it too if and empty price was the same as $0.00 as I have been caught with my pants down on this before also.

Aside from that suggestion, I am 2.5 years happy now with SM! Thanks guys!
Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos

Comments

• Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Did this fall on deaf ears?
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    PictureThis!PictureThis! Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    I would really like a response too. I am nervous about how many of my gallery are in the same boat right now. I've checked a few, but it's pretty time consuming.

Michelle Martin
    Control your destiny, or someone else will.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    JimM wrote:
    Smugmug, when you add additional print options, you need to $0.00 them out so they are not available to the public for sale until we the pro photographers decide what to charge for them. Or at the very least send us an email to let us know this can be an issue.

Hi, we actually don't enable them for you, when we add new products. So we add a product, if you have any pro pricing set at all, the new product isn't for sale until you set pricing for it.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it looks to me like you set the pricing. Our system has been set up to avoid the situation you describe.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    I got caught in this when I first started my pro account as well...didn't realize I had to zero out prices and some people got some great bargains to say the least.

The default values should definitely be zero'd out for pro accounts so that we can input our own prices for only the prints we want to sell. The way it is now we need to zero out all the ones we don't want to sell as well as set our custom pricing. We need to set our custom pricing anyways so it would really save us some time and potential lost sales.

I realize we can have different pricing templates and set galleries according to those templates but it would still make more sense to have the prints only sell at the specified prices and sizes we want instead of the FREE prints being the default.

The things that really can hurt you with this is that any print that sells at this default price does not show up in your sales stats....so you never know that you have made this error eek7.gif
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, we actually don't enable them for you, when we add new products. So we add a product, if you have any pro pricing set at all, the new product isn't for sale until you set pricing for it.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it looks to me like you set the pricing. Our system has been set up to avoid the situation you describe.

Andy, that is the thing, you didn't set it to zero, you set it as blank, thus it sold for my default price. When new products are added, they need to be set as zero by default and pros need to have the ability to then set a price (if we want to).

Thanks.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    Montec wrote:
    The things that really can hurt you with this is that any print that sells at this default price does not show up in your sales stats....so you never know that you have made this error eek7.gif

If you set your default pricing to $0.01 profit, then you'll know.

• Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    JimM wrote:
    If you set your default pricing to $0.01 profit, then you'll know.

I realize that, but the point is you shouldn't need to do this...
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    Montec wrote:
    I realize that, but the point is you shouldn't need to do this...

Much agreed!

• Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    JimM wrote:
    Andy, that is the thing, you didn't set it to zero, you set it as blank, thus it sold for my default price. When new products are added, they need to be set as zero by default and pros need to have the ability to then set a price (if we want to).

Thanks.
    No, they actually needed to be priced by you. They aren't available until you set a price, if you have pricing in place anywhere on your site.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    So as soon as I price a new product on a gallery, then the new products become live on all the galleries as a default price?

• Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    JimM wrote:
    So as soon as I price a new product on a gallery, then the new products become live on all the galleries as a default price?
    nooooo.... If you price it in portfolio, then it's across your site. Gallery, only in that gallery.