Nikon D40

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Cameras
How does it rate compared to a Canon point and shoot?

Comments

• RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:

What do u mean by that... one is a poin-and-shoot and the other is a DSLR... ne_nau.gif There's planty to compare headscratch.gif
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I'm wanting to upgrade to a Nikon D40 are they good SLR's? I once owned a Nikon Point and Shoot and it was clearer that this Canon S3 IS I am using right now. I need some input on how Nikon compares to Canon or just simply if I am making the right investment to go with a D40. I just shoot as a hobby.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:

Since all Canon P&S models are not the same, I suppose you are looking for broad generalizations.

In general, "any" dSLR has the following benefits versus a high-quality P&S:

Responsiveness is much faster usually in startup, focus acquisition amd overall shooting speed, including burst mode.

Interchangeable lenses allow much more versatility at the expense of convenience and weight and size.

Low light and high-ISO performance is usually a level of magnitude better on the dSLR.

Optical viewfinder with no lag in viewing the subject. You gain an accurate view of the subject and scene especially with respect to timeliness.

Accessories tend to be much broader especially with regard to external flash and control of the flash.

dSLRs tend to be more durable and longer lived.

As you invest in a system, the camera can be upgraded and made redundant with additional compatible camera bodies.

Exposure and focus can be totally manual for absolute control.

Control over DOF is much better in the dSLR world.

Rental equipment is available for dSLRs so you can tailor equipment to a project.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 25, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy that about sums it up.
  • slodaveslodave Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Hi Jen,

Here's what little I can offer... The D40 is a "prosumer" DSLR and will handle all of Nikons lenses (well maybe not all). I have a friend that bought one recently and what I did notice, is that it retains some of the features of a P&S; such as scenery mode and other 'program' modes. Since the D40 uses the Nikon lenses, you'll definitely see a difference between the two.

Read the reviews on dpreview betwen the Canon you have and the D40.

I help this helps some.

Dave
    Dave

On a steep learning curve...
    Nikon D100, Nikon 18-135mm, Tamron 5.6 200-400mm
    edited March 25, 2008
    Thanks Dave.......!
    edited March 25, 2008
    If it matters, the Nikon D40/D40x/D60 do not have focus motors on the body, so lenses which require that feature for autofocus will not autofocus on those cameras. That includes a number of Nikon/Nikkor primes and many third party lenses as well. Tamron is revising a number of its lenses so that they will work properly on those cameras.

Be sure to check before you buy.
    ziggy53
    edited March 25, 2008
    Ziggy any recommendations on a Macro lens? I'm assuming the lens that comes with the camera the Zoom is fine. I really appreciate the help.
    edited March 25, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Ziggy any recommendations on a Macro lens? I'm assuming the lens that comes with the camera the Zoom is fine. I really appreciate the help.

If you do chose the Nikon D40, look at their new "kit" lens, the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6G VR. It doesn't cost a whole lot more but is supposed to be somewhat improved optically and has the VR.

Nikon has some great macro lenses, and the

AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm, f/2.8G IF-ED

would be pretty high on the list.

Also consider some of the third party lenses like:

Tamron SP 90mm, f/2.8 Di 1:1

I don't think you'll have AF with the Tamron and the D40, but I wouldn't consider that to be much of a problem in a macro situation.
    ziggy53
  • slodaveslodave Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Just remember, Technically, macro means large and is a bit of a misnomer. Nikon uses the term "micro" for their "macro" lenses.

Anyway, you won't be able to really do any "macro" photography with the kit lens that Ziggy suggested. I'm pulling numbers out of the air, but the kit lens may allow you to focus on a subject that is 1.5' or greater from you, where "macro" allows you to get within inches and still focus on the subject.

As Ziggy said, there are certain lenses that require the body to have a motor for AF, but you can use any Nikon lens and manually focus. My D100 has the in body motor, so I can use either type of AF lens, but I can also use ancient MF lenses. I recently used an old PK-13 extension tube and that caused me to loose both in camera AF and aperture.

I need a nap. Sorry if I am confusing the issue...

Dave
    Dave

On a steep learning curve...
    Nikon D100, Nikon 18-135mm, Tamron 5.6 200-400mm
    edited March 25, 2008
    No you're not confusing me to bad. I screwed up and should of went SLR from the beginning but didn't. I appreciate all advice.
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Replaced a broken d70 with a d40...this is with the $109.00 50mm 1.8 lens, shot at 2.8, manual focus of course...I love this camera!!!! The 18-55 non VR kit lens that came with the camera is a blast as well...if I ever have enough money to get what I want (d300) I swear I'm going to loan out the d40 to friends who are thinking of getting a dslr....

270095923_rsVyd-M.jpg
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
    edited March 26, 2008
    I bought one still shopping for the lenses. Thanks to everyone.clap.gif