D70 Vs D200

frofanfrofan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited March 25, 2008 in Cameras
As the title says, I'm thinking of swapping my D70 for a D200. A few of the features I'm looking for is the increased focus, ISO 100, 10 MP, ... Will I see a huge difference in my photos to justify the cost?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    You will not see a "huge" difference between many modern dSLRs, but your concept of "huge" might be different than mine.

You would notice:

Probably more accurate AF, but that partly depends on the lens in use.

Faster, more responsive operation overall. that does tend to make some difference.

More pixels on the D200, mostly for cropping usage unless you print really large.

(Arguably) more accurate exposure system.

What lenses do you use?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    frofan wrote:
    As the title says, I'm thinking of swapping my D70 for a D200. A few of the features I'm looking for is the increased focus, ISO 100, 10 MP, ... Will I see a huge difference in my photos to justify the cost?

You will see a difference but a hugh difference I doubt it unless you are cropping your shots.. The D200's real advantage comes in with the faster AF, faster frame rate (5 fps, up to 22 RAW frames v. 3 fps up to 12 RAW frames),
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • frofanfrofan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You will not see a "huge" difference between many modern dSLRs, but your concept of "huge" might be different than mine.

You would notice:

Probably more accurate AF, but that partly depends on the lens in use.

Faster, more responsive operation overall. that does tend to make some difference.

More pixels on the D200, mostly for cropping usage unless you print really large.

(Arguably) more accurate exposure system.

What lenses do you use?

I have been using the 18-200 VR, but I'm thinking about switching to the 80-200 F/2.8 and 17-55 F/2.8
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    frofan wrote:
    I have been using the 18-200 VR, but I'm thinking about switching to the 80-200 F/2.8 and 17-55 F/2.8

Those are sweet lenses and yes, I think the D200 would show the difference in quality. It would not be a night and day difference, but I think you would appreciate the combination of the 80-200 F/2.8 and 17-55 F/2.8 and the D200.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    There are other significant differences. The D200 is far superior to the D70 in how it can take advantage of Nikon's Creative Lighting System. You have the ability to control up to four different groups of speedlights (including the pop-up) without having to dedicate an SB-800 or buy an SU-800. The pop-up can do it all on the D200, but on the D70, you can really only control one group with the pop-up. This IS a big deal if you do more than "fill-flash" type photography.

I just sold the D70 that was my back-up to my D200. I have plenty of experience with both, and they're not even comparable in my book. Getting a D300 now. Woo-hoo!!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.