OK Got another lens question

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Cameras
I have a D3. My lens are the 80-400mm VR, 18-200mm VR, 60mm, and an older 70-210mm. I am going to Yellostone and Grand Teton in June. I have between $1500 and $2000 to spend on glass. I have been looking at the 24-70mm VR but I am not sure what glass the money can be spent on. Any ideas would be appreciated.
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    I have a D3. My lens are the 80-400mm VR, 18-200mm VR, 60mm, and an older 70-210mm. I am going to Yellostone and Grand Teton in June. I have between $1500 and $2000 to spend on glass. I have been looking at the 24-70mm VR but I am not sure what glass the money can be spent on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

24-70 does not have VR. This would fill in with the 80-400 very well.

the 14-24 would of course give you that really wide angle for landscapes.

So depending on your shooting preferences- ????

If it were me I would likely get the 24-70 (much broader usefullness when not doing landscape work) and a Sigma 12-24. That would put you at or just over your $2000 though.

Gene
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    24-70 does not have VR. This would fill in with the 80-400 very well.

the 14-24 would of course give you that really wide angle for landscapes.

So depending on your shooting preferences- ????

If it were me I would likely get the 24-70 (much broader usefullness when not doing landscape work) and a Sigma 12-24. That would put you at or just over your $2000 though.

Gene
    Yea you're right, I didn't mean to put the VR in there. I thought about the 14-24 but like you said, as far as a wide angle is concerned, I think that the 24-70 would be more versatile.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    The 24-70 lives on my 5D. If you're using a FF camera, then a 24-70 is an indispensable walk-around lens.

One thing you might want to check is whether the D3 will switch to DX mode if you attach a DX lens to it... not a Nikon shooter, but I remember hearing something about it.
  • museratomuserato Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Yo should probably go for the 24-70, if by any chance you need wider you can always stitch 2 or 3 captures in photoshop
    edited March 25, 2008
    Lovesong wrote:
    The 24-70 lives on my 5D. If you're using a FF camera, then a 24-70 is an indispensable walk-around lens.

One thing you might want to check is whether the D3 will switch to DX mode if you attach a DX lens to it... not a Nikon shooter, but I remember hearing something about it.
    Yes it does so I'm going to keep my 18-200 on my D200 as much as possible. This is one reason that what ever lens I get I don't want a DX lens.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
    edited March 25, 2008
    muserato wrote:
    Yo should probably go for the 24-70, if by any chance you need wider you can always stitch 2 or 3 captures in photoshop
    This is something that I have thought about and have thought that it might be easier to stitch the 24-70 together than the 14-24. But I'm not sure about it and haven't seen anything on the web to confirm this.