Color Calibration - What do I tweek next?

DigitalMickDigitalMick Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 25, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I am trying to match Prints to my monitor. I calibrated it with Spyder2 to 65k 2.2 gamma.

I did Proof setup in Photoshop setting profile to EZprints ICC.

I also ordered the calibration from Smugmug to compare, and I downloaded the same jpeg photo to view in Photoshop for comparison.

My findings: The monitor image is brighter overall than the print. Whites are whiter on the monitor. Blacks are ok to me. The reds seem deeper(darker) on the print. Light background areas like the white behind the redhead and the tan background behind the girl with glasses are darker on the print. The yellow on the lemon is brighter on the monitor as is the orange fruit. The dark blue on the GretaMacbeth is closer to a lighter/brighter royal blue on the monitor. Other colors on this chart are lighter appearing on the monitor. Luminance overall is higher on the monitor I think.

Is this typical for a well calibrated setup?
How might I tweek it?
I could not find a color saturation setting on my monitor controls. I can change its brightness, gamma, and contrast manually. I found no color temp settings, but Spyder2 was able to adjest it to 65K.

Can I use EZprints ICC as my working color space in Photoshop or convert images to this ICC?

Does EZPrints use the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for the color space? This is a choice I can convert my images to in Photoshop

Overall, the I feel color space is right in the ballpark, but I suspect most photos will print a little darker than they appear on the monitor. I think the difference is mainly luminance more than saturation.

My hardware: Canon 20D
Computer Dell XPS Notebook with GeForce GO 7800 GTX video card
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200
Shoot: RAW with aRGB colorspace
Postprocess: Lightroom & Photoshop - convert to sRGB for printing

Thanks,

Mickey