Options

re: uploads and digi downloads...old complaints??

RKeatonRKeaton Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm going to start selling a bit through SM again after not doing so for quite a while.

While there have been many great improvements to SM in the last year or two, I noticed there are a couple things about the selling process that really bugged me before and they don't seem to have changed. I hope you don't mind my sharing these thoughts...

First thing: even if I'm using the 'proof delay' method I still have to upload files that meet the minimum size requirements for the largest item I offer. Huge dimension, ultra-compressed files...Why?

This doesn't seem like the smartest way to do it. Why not just let me upload small copies to meet MY display requirements (medium thumbs) and then let me replace those with high-res files when orders come in?

I've been playing around with shooting in RAW + small jpeg for this exact purpose. My small jpeg file may not be big enough to cover all the print sizes I want to offer, but it would work fine as a 'display only' image. Then I can create any size file I want from the RAW image and re-upload that for orders. Wouldn't that be quicker and easier for everyone, not to mention save you guys server space in the process?

I also want to offer digital downloads. There are still a couple quirks to this process that I just don't understand:

a) Why can't the proof delay apply here like it does with prints? This makes no sense to me at all. I want to crop, color correct, sharpen, etc every purchased image - print or download. You can't give me the option to do that?

I realize the immediacy of downloading has a lot of appeal to the customer and there will be a sense of disappointment if they're told they have to wait. But should a quick transaction come at the expense of the highest quality image? Not in my opinion.

b) Also, why are we still doing this 'size by megapixel' thing? Am I the only one who thinks of file sizes more as a matter of pixel dimensions than overall file size?

I want to offer a small, 'web-use' file for cheap (600 x 400), maybe a larger one for general printing (1280 x 1024) and then the original for the highest price. Where do we get this 1 MP, 4 MP idea?

Thanks in advance for responding. Other pro users are welcome to chime in as well.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    RKeaton wrote:

First thing: even if I'm using the 'proof delay' method I still have to upload files that meet the minimum size requirements for the largest item I offer. Huge dimension, ultra-compressed files? Why?
    Our database and pricing system is set up this way, I'm sorry :( You can smash the files: http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Proof+Delay+for+Happy+Customers+(and+Pros)

a) Why can't the proof delay apply here like it does with prints? This makes no sense to me at all. I want to crop, color correct, sharpen, etc every purchased image - print or download. You can't give me the option to do that?
    People want dig files immediately. You can still edit it and email or upload a single file for them in a gallery and have them fetch an updated copy.

b) Also, why are we still doing this 'size by megapixel' thing? Am I the only one who thinks of file sizes more as a matter of pixel dimensions than overall file size?

I want to offer a small, 'web-use' file for cheap (600 x 400), maybe a larger one for general printing (1280 x 1024) and then the original for the highest price. Where do we get this 1 MP, 4 MP idea?
    megapixels are pixel dimensions.

We'll look at the file size names and see what might be able to be done :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Our database and pricing system is set up this way, I'm sorry :( You can smash the files: http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Proof+Delay+for+Happy+Customers+(and+Pros)
    People want dig files immediately. You can still edit it and email or upload a single file for them in a gallery and have them fetch an updated copy.
    megapixels are pixel dimensions.

We'll look at the file size names and see what might be able to be done :)

Thanks!

I'm getting "page not found" when I click your tips-to-smash link.

edit: here's the updated link for you:

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Proof+Delay+for+Happy+Customers+%28and+Pros%29
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:

As I said, I realize people like getting their digi files immediately, but I think you guys are giving that too much importance. In my view, having the best file is more important. The roundabout, follow-up method you suggest seems wasteful.