Options

40d Iso 3200?

The SlothThe Sloth Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited March 27, 2008 in Technique
Just got my 40D and have been playing around with its seemingly endless features. Normal, selectable ISOs range from 100-1600, but they also have an ISO expansion mode that goes to 3200. You have to go through a few of the camera's menus to turn on the ability to use this ISO, then you can select it just like you would any other ISO.

My question is, why would you have to "turn on" the option of selecting 3200? Why would they not just include this ISO with the rest of them? Should you "turn off" ISO expansion when you aren't using that fast of an ISO? Any insight would be helpful!
You can see it all here.
If they dont want their picture taken, then please hide or leave. :D

Comments

• Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Canon hides 3200 because they don't want the inexperienced going around shooting at 3200 all the time wondering why the photos have so much noise.

In my situation I was shooting at 3200 the night before and forgot to check my ISO during a photo shoot the following morning. eek7.gif Lucky for me I set my playback to show details when I chimp. You can probably get away with 1600. But 3200?!

See chimping is good.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited March 27, 2008
    ISO 3200 has both increased noise and reduced tonality, compared to the lesser settings. Canon simply chose to make it a conscious choice for the user. Feel free to use ISO 3200 if the conditions require it, but underexposure is especially problematic at that setting so be very careful setting and checking exposure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums