Options

Going from Beta version to regular CS3 question

firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited March 27, 2008 in Finishing School
I purchased a used MBP recently and it came with the usual apple software but also with a beta version of CS3. I know I need to purchase my own software so wondered if I need to delete the beta version before installing the "regular" version of CS3 or does it just update to the new version when I install it?

thanks
Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 26, 2008
    I would delete all references to the beta edition, myself, before installing your paid edition.

I had the free beta trial on my machine ( and came to regret it ) because I had issues with installing the paid version; ultimately I had to remove the first and re-install the second.

Personally, if I had purchased a used MBP, I would wipe the hard disc clean, and do a new re-install of OS X with the install disc that came with the MBP, just for my own peace of mind. I tend to be a little paranoid, I guess.:D ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 27, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I would delete all references to the beta edition, myself, before installing your paid edition.

I had the free beta trial on my machine ( and came to regret it ) because I had issues with installing the paid version; ultimately I had to remove the first and re-install the second.

Personally, if I had purchased a used MBP, I would wipe the hard disc clean, and do a new re-install of OS X with the install disc that came with the MBP, just for my own peace of mind. I tend to be a little paranoid, I guess.:D ne_nau.gif

I would second PF's suggestion about wiping the disk and starting out fresh. Not so much because of paranoia about malware (which is highly uncommon on a Mac) but because past errors can leave little bits of disk corruption behind which can cause problems later. Also, some uninstallers don't work very well, and that also can lead to difficulties.

Regards,
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited March 27, 2008
    I am a previous beta tester for some major software and the beta uninstall is often just as uncertain as the beta itself. I would always use Windows "Add or Remove Programs" from the Control Panel because Windows builds its own list for the uninstall and you really need to make sure "all" references to the beta are removed.

If you know how, it's also a good idea to clean up the registry before installing the new software, to eliminate another potential source of problems.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Thanks to all for your suggestions - appreciate your comments!

By the way, I purchased the MBP from a good friend who bought it new last fall from Apple. He decided he needed the 17" screen for presentations, so offered to sell me the 15" for a great deal. :D So, paranoia about id theft isn't a concern.

I was pretty sure the best thing was to completely delete the beta version, but wanted to check as I'm not a computer guru, just a "50-something" trying to learn more about the ins and outs of the computer world.

Thanks again, folks.
    Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Not so much because of paranoia about malware (which is highly uncommon on a Mac) but because past errors can leave little bits of disk corruption behind which can cause problems later. Also, some uninstallers don't work very well, and that also can lead to difficulties.

Regards,
    15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin