Options

Lens hoods

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in Technique
So, I have gotten so accustomed to low light or no light shooting, that apparently I suck at day light shooting (or more specifically no cloud daylight).

So could anyone give me a good explanation on using lens hoods? Or whatever those bell things are?

Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 26, 2008
    They keep a bit of glare and stray light off the front element when you're shooting in very directional light. Nothing much more to it. Personally, I don't find a huge amount of difference when using one in terms of the image. The end of my lenses however, love them for the added protection when hiking through the bush and climbing over rocks. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    yea... I think for me it's more a matter of a $5 piece of plastic between the concrete and the glass. If it breaks I'll buy 2 more and be happy it wasn't glass.

That being said, I have gotten weird flares (particularly stadium lights) when I was too lazy to put one on.

And to round out my 2c on the subject, I really like the rubber collapsable ones on shorter glass. They expand out to do they job then compress to almost nothing to save having to pop off, rotate, pop back on before storage.:D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 27, 2008
    yea... I think for me it's more a matter of a $5 piece of plastic between the concrete and the glass. If it breaks I'll buy 2 more and be happy it wasn't glass.

That being said, I have gotten weird flares (particularly stadium lights) when I was too lazy to put one on.

And to round out my 2c on the subject, I really like the rubber collapsable ones on shorter glass. They expand out to do they job then compress to almost nothing to save having to pop off, rotate, pop back on before storage.:D

I carry a rubber lens hood in 58mm for my 50 f1.4 also, but it is worthwhile keeping in mind that one of the main reasons for using a lens hood, is to offer physical protection from banging the lens objective on walls, floors after falling, rocks, concrete etc, and a collapsable rubber hood really does not help much for this.

This is critically important for lenses with protuberant front elements, like the very wide angles and fish eyes.. My 12 -24 Sigma protrudes almost one inch beyone the lens filter ring mount. A good lens to keep a strong lens hood on. It comes with a metal hoodthumb.gifthumb.gif

The truth is that I make mounting a lens hood a matter of course when mounting a lens, kind of like putting on a seat belt. it is true that shooting in the dark, you are not likely to see glare without a lens hood, but you might be surprised, and falling is a risk wandering around in the dark looking through a viewfinder, and not watching where you are walking. Just a thought.:D eek7.gif

I mean what could possibly go wrong??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    I think it is mostly an idea of glass protection. while it does help random glares off, i love feeling safer with it on there for protective reasons.
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Like everybody else.. I keep it on for glass protection... and find I support the glass actually holding the end of my lense and part of the hood. When its not there, i find myself sometimes getting articles of clothing (if i have a jacket on) showing up in my frame...

So I always have my lense hood. Another reason I always shoot with a UV filter, protection. Id rather damage a $5 lense hood or a $20 filter, then hafta replace a $800+ lense
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    What's a $20 piece of plastic compared to a $400 lens? Whenever I order new glass I make sure to get the lens hood for it, along with a UV filter which is relatively inexpensive and will keep the actual lens from getting scratched. I couldn't really tell you the difference between having it on or off. I always wear a hat when I shoot during the day; this way, if I notice lens flare, I can take the hat off, hold it, and position it to kill the flare.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Broad brimmed hats for lens flare have been a favorite for view camera shooters for generations. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    I'm wanting to shoot some of the IU football games next year, so I should probably get in that habit then.

I've found holding the lens further out alo helps in stabiliixing it, and the hoods could offer a slightly longer reach to hold as well
  • Options
    lasulaxlasulax Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    What's a $20 piece of plastic compared to a $400 lens? Whenever I order new glass I make sure to get the lens hood for it, along with a UV filter which is relatively inexpensive and will keep the actual lens from getting scratched. I couldn't really tell you the difference between having it on or off. I always wear a hat when I shoot during the day; this way, if I notice lens flare, I can take the hat off, hold it, and position it to kill the flare.

im not sure i completely follow, could you explain how wearing a hat helps with lens flare?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    You remove the hat from your chapeau, hold the hat in your hand, out above and in front of the lens, to cast a shadow across the front of the lens. Voila!! No longer any lens flarethumb.gif

In the movies, they use a giant 2 foot long lens hood, or a giant scrim to cast a shadow across the camera. Same idea.

Or you could go and stand in the shade somewhere and use the hat to keep your head warm.:D :D

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I

I mean what could possibly go wrong??

Avoid using hoods on wide angle lenses with onboard, or short flashes. I have a few really great family shots with a strange shadow on the bottom third...........

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    lasulaxlasulax Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    ok that makes sense.

i wasnt sure if it was something as simple as that or something much more technical where if "the angle you observed the light coming off the brim of your hat was similar to what degree of flare you could expect" or something super technical like that.

should have realized....always go with the simplest answer!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    lasulax wrote:
    ok that makes sense.

i wasnt sure if it was something as simple as that or something much more technical where if "the angle you observed the light coming off the brim of your hat was similar to what degree of flare you could expect" or something super technical like that.

should have realized....always go with the simplest answer!
    Achoms Razor my dear Watson :D