Options

Just got my $110 50mm Nikkor!

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in Cameras
I like it, nice and light and focuses fast! Ordered it from Amazon $110.

270978954_k5ASL-M.jpg

Haven't got out with it yet, but here is a snap shot of my kid.
270984111_hCkst-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    WOO HOO! clap.gif Always love to get gear in the mail...

That particular lens I own and absolutely love it. Having to shoot regularly in a theatre, gym, and indoors it's priceless. f/1.8 seems to get the job done for me, and at ~$100 everyone should have one.

Recommendation I can make: I got a rubber (collapsable type) lens hood and a blank filter to put on mine. If you're like me you'll have to clean it pretty regular (the short length makes things like dust/lint show up way more).

Happy shooting! (post more shots!)
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Good point will do! Glad you like it.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    It certainly looks more serious than my Canon 50mm f1.8. It looks like a toy lens. Good optics for $70 though.
  • Options
    Wes CowleyWes Cowley Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    50mm 1.8
    I like it, nice and light and focuses fast! Ordered it from Amazon $110.

270978954_k5ASL-M.jpg

Haven't got out with it yet, but here is a snap shot of my kid.
    270984111_hCkst-M.jpg

One of the best lens for the price. I've used mine for several years, and never travel without it.

Wes
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    The 50mm1.8 has to be the best value in Nikon's lens line-up. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    The 50mm1.8 has to be the best value in Nikon's lens line-up. thumb.gif

Cool! I have the 10-20mm, 18-200, now the 50, but no macro, what else should I be eyeballin'?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Cool! I have the 10-20mm, 18-200, now the 50, but no macro, what else should I be eyeballin'?

I only shoot a macro once in a blue moon. As such, I just use a macro +10 filter on the 50mm lens mentioned. Not the greatest optics, but easily gets the job done when I need a flower background or something for a projet.

Happy shooting clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Probably easier to carry around than another lens.

Does anybody have examples of a good close up using them filters?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    If I remember correctly this was shot with the +10 filter. It's got a couple specks of dust on the filter (see previous post about cleaning...the optics aren't that bad...). This is unsharpened/corrected straight out of the D70.

It should be noted that this shot is taken a matter of 5-6" away from the minicarnation (which I would guestimate to be 1.5" in diameter). If you want to shoot something with the potential to move (bug, etc) I would suggest you go the tube route with a longer lens or something.

I got a filter set off eBay with a +2, +3, and +10 with cases for like $15 from a guy getting better gear. It's all I really need, and fun to play with when raining outside.

nifty fifty, f/22, ISO400. (I didn't have time to learn focus stacking, just shot high DOF).

flower.jpg

~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    IT's a great lens ! Have fun with it !!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    photographiliaphotographilia Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2008

Since you have a 50 prime the 60 micro is probably not a good fit. Look at the 105mm micro (Nikon calls it's macros micros). If you don't care about latest and greatest, the non-VR version is spectacular and there are a lot of them on the market now that the VR version is out. Or, Tamron's 90 is supposedly quite good for a lighter, cheaper build, but still decent IQ.
  • Options
    Selena L.Selena L. Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2008
    You'll love this lens! It was the first lens I bought (besides kit lens) & it hardly leaves my camera. You'll get really sharp photos w/ it. iloveyou.gif

Congratulations on your new lens purchase! :)

Selena
    Nikon D80
    SB-800
    18-135mm kit lens
    50mm 1.8 nikkor
    85mm 1.8 nikkor
    35mm 2.0 nikkor
    Gary Fong LS
    Expodisc
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    Since you have a 50 prime the 60 micro is probably not a good fit. Look at the 105mm micro (Nikon calls it's macros micros). If you don't care about latest and greatest, the non-VR version is spectacular and there are a lot of them on the market now that the VR version is out. Or, Tamron's 90 is supposedly quite good for a lighter, cheaper build, but still decent IQ.

Cool, will do!
    You'll love this lens! It was the first lens I bought (besides kit lens) & it hardly leaves my camera. You'll get really sharp photos w/ it.

Congratulations on your new lens purchase! :)

Thanks! thumb.gif