EXIF: D40, 18-55 Kit Lens, Tiffen $20 polarizer, 1/125s f/10.0 ISO200

Comments

• dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Impressive shotthumb.gif

Sad subject.:cry

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • squidddsquiddd Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Good compositointhumb.gif
    By the way, why there is acid rain in Hawaii? I guess there is no industry around. Volcano?
    Welcome to my small landscape gallery:
    http://squiddd.smugmug.com/Landscapes
  • sabbath999sabbath999 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    squiddd wrote:
    Good compositointhumb.gif
    By the way, why there is acid rain in Hawaii? I guess there is no industry around. Volcano?

Exactly. In the lee of both Kilauea and Mauna Loa is an entire "desert" which really isn't a desert at all... there is plenty of rain, but there is very little vegetation...

The rain that falls when Kilauea and Mauna Loa are spitting out gas is extremely caustic to vegetation. That is why the windward side of Kilauea is a lush rain forest, and the leeward side is... well... see the picture above.

Perhaps the oddest thing about the acid rain situation is only about 30 miles from the summit of Kilauea... and 20 from Mauna Loa... is the place with the freshest air on the planet... the wind blows in over the sea, and that stretch of coast is the place the most far away from any other land in front of it in the world in the direction you face... the nearest land mass is thousands of miles away. Scientists use that spot to measure global air purity.
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Interesting photo, captivating somehow.
    clap.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    sabbath999 wrote:
    Exactly. In the lee of both Kilauea and Mauna Loa is an entire "desert" which really isn't a desert at all... there is plenty of rain, but there is very little vegetation...

The rain that falls when Kilauea and Mauna Loa are spitting out gas is extremely caustic to vegetation. That is why the windward side of Kilauea is a lush rain forest, and the leeward side is... well... see the picture above.

Perhaps the oddest thing about the acid rain situation is only about 30 miles from the summit of Kilauea... and 20 from Mauna Loa... is the place with the freshest air on the planet... the wind blows in over the sea, and that stretch of coast is the place the most far away from any other land in front of it in the world in the direction you face... the nearest land mass is thousands of miles away. Scientists use that spot to measure global air purity.

Very interesting information. Something I didn't know.

The grass around the tree...is that the actual color?