C&C welcome.
Daily Photo #10
270950737_au5mX-L.jpg
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Ashley - I liked this photo so much I went to your website and spent 30 - 45 minutes just looking at your photos. IMNSHO, you have great talent and a way of seeing things that I find very refreshing.

Your B&W conversions and the way you use light in your B&W portraits is ... I can't quite find the right word to describe my reaction. I particularly like your #9 photo (link). I was just flipping through the B&W portraits and got stuck for a minute or two just looking into this photo. Don't know what it is about it, but I certainly got my attention.bowdown.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    love it
    Very dramatic! I really love this photo, good job!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Thank you. That makes me so happy:D. I'm slowly getting back to posting on dgrin.

And the photo you picked out... I must tell the man in the photo. He is a local theatre director and writer, and he never likes any picture ever taken of him.

Haha, I'm glad you liked your first glance at the B&W's. The first 3-4 pages are pictures all taken in, maximum, 5-10 mintues. They are quick shots of actors for a board display before the audience goes in to see the show.

thanks again,
    a.

Ashley - I liked this photo so much I went to your website and spent 30 - 45 minutes just looking at your photos. IMNSHO, you have great talent and a way of seeing things that I find very refreshing.

Your B&W conversions and the way you use light in your B&W portraits is ... I can't quite find the right word to describe my reaction. I particularly like your #9 photo (link). I was just flipping through the B&W portraits and got stuck for a minute or two just looking into this photo. Don't know what it is about it, but I certainly got my attention.bowdown.gif
    Green is the way to be!
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Ashley,

I (like Scott) really liked your B&W People gallery. Do you have any specific method to get that kind of tonal balance or do you 'just move sliders until I like it'?

Again nice work.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    okay, haha, I didn't expect that.
    My B&W's, like I said before, are done quickly. The same with the conversions.
    While some pictures are done in natural light. A lot of them are done under bathroom lights, or in the dressing rooms (under the bad light you aren't suppose to use)...so B&W cover my mistakes (hehe)
    Anyway, its very easy and I learned the trick on dgrin.
    I turn the RGB into LAB and then I delete everything but the 'lightness'. Then I just 'Auto Levels' it. And that usually gets me there on the dot. Sometimes I play a little bit more- I'm a sucker for contrast.
    Other times I use what Yuri uses - downloaded plug-in 'Virtual Photographer' or opetic-labs...I think. Its free. I don't have the link here but you can find it through looking at some of his posts.
    But mostly the first.
    Thanks for the comments,
    Cheers,
    a.
    Green is the way to be!
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    I love the angle and contrast. Very compelling ubran tone. Nice work!
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    i'm a fan of Ashley's work as well. love the stuff in her galleries. glad you see you're posting again ashley! thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Not the religion but the boy.
    C&C welcome.
    Daily Photo #10

I went to your site as well becasue of scott's post. The picture you have posted here does not really do anything for me but your others are great. You have a good artsy eye that I appreciate. Then I found that picture of the lady in the church with the candles..I had seen that before on this forum and hadn't realized it was from you. FABULOUS.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com