JV Soccer Pix

JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited March 30, 2008 in Sports
I have heard that having played the game makes shooting it easier. Well I played soccer all the way through the Div 1 college level and if that makes it easier then I feel really bad for those that have never played and have to shoot a soccer game.... :-) Anyways, here are a few shots from a recent game as I try to learn how to photograph the game rather than play it.......Thanks for looking, comments welcome.
270775360_NjcN7-L.jpg
270777089_LQX3y-M.jpg
270781524_CanwV-M.jpg
270782589_Lvg6Y-M.jpg
270783677_6r2XG-M.jpg

Comments

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Very nice captures. I'd say you've got the hang of it. thumb.gif

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • sle39lvrsle39lvr Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Looks Clean
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    some awesome action shots...great seriesclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Beautiful shots! thumb.gif
    As I am preparing for my first season of soccer, I'm wondering:
    -if you used your Rebel or 20D
    -what your settings were

Thanks,
    Betsy
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Very nice shot of the keeper.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Nice series John. Really like #4. Timing is good on the headers, but IMO I would rather have good expressions. So while timing is good on #3, it's not that interesting to me because you cant see the faces well. Which is why I like 4 better - not nearly as challenging to capture the action but the expressions make it a better shot to me.

Great job!
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Great shots
    :Dwings.gif Loved them...I shot Youth Soccer...cant wait to try level.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 29, 2008
    I like #'s 3, 4 and 5.

While I agree that 3 doesn't have a great look at the faces, the expression
    you do see between the two players is kind of cool. In 5, I'd like to see more
    of the frame but I like how the keeper is playing the ball.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    JohnEBongo wrote:
    I have heard that having played the game makes shooting it easier. Well I played soccer all the way through the Div 1 college level and if that makes it easier then I feel really bad for those that have never played and have to shoot a soccer game.... :-) Anyways, here are a few shots from a recent game as I try to learn how to photograph the game rather than play it.......Thanks for looking, comments welcome.
    My own shooting parallels my kids' athletic interests, and while a couple of mine were big-time prep soccer players (much of their careers pre-dating my interest in photography), I have only just realized that I never got a great save (or save attempt) like in your last image, and never will, because soccer is over for my kids. Great shots all around. clap.gif
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Yeah but . . .
    better than almost anyone, you know how the chess game of soccer is likely to take shape. I think knowledge of the game is the first principle of good sports shooting, and have huge respect for the fact that you were a big-time player yourself. You know how to anticipate action and position yourself better than most. The rest is a function of what gear you have and how quickly you can re-position!