Question on color shift... again.

vidiotvidiot Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 27, 2008 in SmugMug Support
OK, I've spent the time to read the 12 pages you sent me to Andy. I left a response there, but no answers.

I'll try to make the question simple. Same computer, same browser, same file, DIFFERENT UPLOAD DATE. Nothing has changed except when I uploaded this file. Check out the differences between the first image in the gallery with the identical image next to it.

http://kevincopus.smugmug.com/gallery/3301765_JkKxj/1/189367058_jwKn9

All images that I've uploaded now in the last week have a pronounced shift, turning the blues into purple.

I'm not happy with blueish pics. The thumbnails appear correct, the selected image is not. Why?

Kevin :cry

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    The S, M, L and other images we make as display copies have the sRGB profile in them - the thumbs do not. Does this help?
  • richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    vidiot wrote:
    I'll try to make the question simple. Same computer, same browser, same file, DIFFERENT UPLOAD DATE. Nothing has changed except when I uploaded this file. Check out the differences between the first image in the gallery with the identical image next to it.

http://kevincopus.smugmug.com/gallery/3301765_JkKxj/1/189367058_jwKn9

All images that I've uploaded now in the last week have a pronounced shift, turning the blues into purple.

I don't know if it helps Kevin but both images appear identical on my computer here using FF3 and IE7 when looking at the images at Large. I can't detect any difference between the one titled 'hdr-up128' and 'copper smelter'. It may be my eyes of course but maybe that will help you track it down a little

Rich
  • vidiotvidiot Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    richpepp wrote:
    I don't know if it helps Kevin but both images appear identical on my computer here using FF3 and IE7 when looking at the images at Large. I can't detect any difference between the one titled 'hdr-up128' and 'copper smelter'. It may be my eyes of course but maybe that will help you track it down a little

Rich

Yes, thanks for the reply Rich. This is one of the things that I really needed to know. I'd be interested if somebody with Safari could also make a comparison? There's another example of previous/current on the same page, and with more blues in the image, it shows this difference to a greater degree.

I tried using different monitor profiles, but still had the same result. That eliminates the monitor profiling software. Can anyone confirm that "older" uploads DID NOT attach an sRGB profile, and relatively recently Smugmug has begun attaching sRGB to the selected photo in the gallery?

Again, thanks for the comparison Rich. It seems that it's MY browser window that's doing something to the sRGB translation. I sure wish I knew what it is.

Kevin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    vidiot wrote:
    Can anyone confirm that "older" uploads DID NOT attach an sRGB profile, and relatively recently Smugmug has begun attaching sRGB to the selected photo in the gallery?

Yes indeed.