edited May 23, 2004 in Cameras
About to take the digital plunge .
Any new owners of D70 out there ?

:scratch

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    Not me, but it sounds like a kick-ass camera, and in ways it's better than the Canon 300D.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Not me, but it sounds like a kick-ass camera, and in ways it's better than the Canon 300D.
    $300 better. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    The common wisdom is that if you already own some lenses for eitehr Canon or Nikon, buy that compatible body. If don't have a lens already, I think Canon is at this point a little more complete system with more options. (But Nikon has a very nice flash that's designed for digital...) That's why so many people on this forum have Canon. If you get really into it, like many of us, you will end up with lenses worth more than the body, and the lenses will last a lifetime. That is very unlikely to be true of digital camera bodies bought now; they are likely to be obsolete in 5 years.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    ic
    rutt wrote:
    The common wisdom is that if you already own some lenses for eitehr Canon or Nikon, buy that compatible body. If don't have a lens already, I think Canon is at this point a little more complete system with more options. (But Nikon has a very nice flash that's designed for digital...) That's why so many people on this forum have Canon. If you get really into it, like many of us, you will end up with lenses worth more than the body, and the lenses will last a lifetime. That is very unlikely to be true of digital camera bodies bought now; they are likely to be obsolete in 5 years.

I agree , already own some nice Nikon lenses --- need a digital to keep from the film/develop/process to digital loop.
    Am interested in hearing from actual D70 user..
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    D70 - newbie
    Purchased D70 kit today along w/ 256mb CF card and card reader. Had to work tonight so I'm sittin here reading the manual.
    This camera is as complicated as Chinese arithmetic.
    Three Li. CR2 batteries added another $30 which I opted not to spend.Figure to wait till tomorrow and charge the batt..........
    Seems all my other lenses will work
    Seems SB-28 flash will work also (though not in TTL ?)
    Will see how images flow from CF card -- reader---USB 2 ---Mac iPhoto--file ---PS Elements
    Will try and get some up to Smugmug by this weekend
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    gypsy77360 wrote:
    Purchased D70 kit today along w/ 256mb CF card and card reader. Had to work tonight so I'm sittin here reading the manual.
    This camera is as complicated as Chinese arithmetic.
    Three Li. CR2 batteries added another $30 which I opted not to spend.Figure to wait till tomorrow and charge the batt..........
    Seems all my other lenses will work
    Seems SB-26 flash will work also (though not in TTL ?)
    Will see how images flow from CF card -- reader---USB 2 ---Mac iPhoto--file ---PS Elements
    Will try and get some up to Smugmug by this weekend

Congrats gypsy! I'm anxious to see your shots and hear how you like it. I *almost* waited for it, but opted for the 10D instead for instant gratification a while back.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    D70
    Test ran a demo D70 a couple of weeks ago and found it to be a very easy to use and comfortable feel in my hands. It is much lighter than the D1x or D2h and has nearly all the features. I understand reading the manual and re read mine every few weeks, but the basic program modes work very well and you can count on the product.

Once you recover from the original expense, give the new sb800 flash serious consideration. It works wonderfully and really compliments the camera. Very flexible and progammable as well. TTL and many other features, you can add a 5th battery for much quicker recycle times as well.

Lets see some stuff! clap.gif

Deacon
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    [soapbox]

I would like to take this opportunity to shout a hearty FO to all the naysayers who said the D70 wasn't going to be out until the Fall. Half of the reason I bought the Canon was because it was readily available (actually, it went on backorder shortly after I bought mine) and was a great dSLR. I would have rather bought the D70 and been able to use my Nikkor glass. So FLIPA.gif...I hope you're happy with yourselves. FLIPA.gif

[/soapbox]

That said, I'm anxious to go see one at the store and check it out. The D100 just didn't feel right in my hands, so I'm curious as to what the D70 is like. No, I'm not going to sell my 10D, 70-200/4L, 100mm/2.8, 28-75/2.8, or 550EX so :nono
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    You will enjoy owning the D70
    It's an incredible camera; I've shot maybe 500 frames thus far. Just a quick note, the low noise at ISO 1600 is sweet, and the 3 fps is even sweeter. Even with my microdrive I can blast a couple dozen frames of fine JPG in a single burst, and if you have a high speed solid state CF, you're supposed to be able to hit 3 fps until your card is full. I had a microdrive, so I needed a big buffer- the D70 is for me. I've had the camera for maybe thirty + hours, and I pretty much understand everything or know where everything is, so it's user friendly for sure... I haven't a good enough lens to do any real official advising, but I guess you went ahead and bought it anyways hehe... If anybody's on the fence about a DSLR, I'd say if you have any stockpile of nikkors, go with the D70! It is an incredible camera. The 300D is incredible too, but in perspective, the D70 is more like the D100 than the 300D is like the 10D. Either way you go, you will be delighted; both the D70 and the 300D have their advantages and their disadvantages, but as for me the D70's advantages were what I wanted:

-turns on instantly
    -awesome performance at high ISO
    -RAW + JPG images

Some things I've had a hassle with thus far:

-New Nikon software is weird about reading NEF files, must download upgrade and I think pay $99 if you want some full version of some software.
    -Ruckus about moire, but I have yet to see any. But I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.
    -Images might be consistently under exposed, I'm not sure. Probably just the fact that it was terribly overcast and I was trying to shoot at high shutter speeds.

But don't listen to me, just watch my galleries for pictures!

3218318-S.jpg
    http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/63231/1/3218318/Original

3208508-S.jpg
    http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/63237/1/3208508/Original
    3193249-M.jpg
    http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/63284/1/3193249/Original
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    What little financial discipline I have is weakening . . .
    Tim
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    What little financial discipline I have is weakening . . .
    I know what you mean! But here is what would happen to me:

Ok I can now afford a D70... but it's only a couple hundred more to step up to the D100... and if I'm going to shell out the money for a D100 I might as well go ahead and spend a bit more and get a D2H... but then again, the D2X should be out sometime soon...

The next thing you know I'm giving thought to buying a new medium format camera and a $20k, 20MP+ digital back.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I know what you mean! But here is what would happen to me:

Ok I can now afford a D70... but it's only a couple hundred more to step up to the D100... and if I'm going to shell out the money for a D100 I might as well go ahead and spend a bit more and get a D2H... but then again, the D2X should be out sometime soon...

The next thing you know I'm giving thought to buying a new medium format camera and a $20k, 20MP+ digital back.
    My sickness is clearly not as developed as yours. :D

If I ever find myself in a position where I'm selling pictures, than I would entertain the idea of a pro-level camera. Until then, the D70 will do just fine thanks. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to return to the "discussion" I'm having with my wife. deal.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2004
    wife discussion
    My sickness is clearly not as developed as yours. :D

If I ever find myself in a position where I'm selling pictures, than I would entertain the idea of a pro-level camera. Until then, the D70 will do just fine thanks. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to return to the "discussion" I'm having with my wife. deal.gif
    Still working nite shift--- off on Sat. @ 0730. Will be able to play with camera then...
    BTW , did not ask/tell wifey ....hopes she doesn't notice the difference in Nikons .......and mistakes it for my other one.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    cletus wrote:

I am just waiting for the day I can buy a Fuji 680 with a full frame portable digital back. That will be an impressive setup, now if they can only make it soon and keep the cost down. deal.gif
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    I got the D70 about 2 weeks ago when it first came out. I love it! This is my first SLR-type camera.

BTW, this is a great site!
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    first shots
    More to follow "P" no flash3246677-M.jpg
    3246390-M.jpg
    on "P" w/ adj for flourescent lites
    3246629-M.jpg
    On "P" w/ no adj.3246925-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    a few more
    3277290-M.jpg
    3277886-M.jpg

will try to get out and do some more....
    working on bike project tomorrow
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    D70 software
    Since purchasing this camera , I have been short of time to sit down and read up on software that came with it , or for that matter even get out and shoot some daylight shots. From what my Mac has been able to do with iPhoto and Photoshop Elements , I'm not sure I even need to load it.
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    gypsy77360 wrote:
    Since purchasing this camera , I have been short of time to sit down and read up on software that came with it , or for that matter even get out and shoot some daylight shots. From what my Mac has been able to do with iPhoto and Photoshop Elements , I'm not sure I even need to load it.
    ne_nau.gif
    Yep...

I've taken a bunch of shots with my father's D100 but I've never bothered to load any of the Nikon Software. Now that PS-CS has the built-in camera RAW plug-in I've found 0 need for the stuff that Nikon provides.

By the way, those are some good looking shots! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I am just waiting for the day I can buy a Fuji 680 with a full frame portable digital back. That will be an impressive setup, now if they can only make it soon and keep the cost down. deal.gif
    I don't think it will ever happen. What will happen instead is that the current generation of 20 MP backs will get phased out and replaced with new 30-40 MP backs which will sell at the exact same prices as the current stuff. This trend will continue until they get to some astronomical pixel count that even the marketing people realize is over-kill. Then they'll start increasing bit depth for more colors or come out with a new type of sensor that greatly reduces noise. The end result is that the pro-level stuff stays at the same price, it just constantly gets better.

On the other hand, I never thought we would see a 6MP SLR for under $1k...
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I don't think it will ever happen. What will happen instead is that the current generation of 20 MP backs will get phased out and replaced with new 30-40 MP backs which will sell at the exact same prices as the current stuff. This trend will continue until they get to some astronomical pixel count that even the marketing people realize is over-kill. Then they'll start increasing bit depth for more colors or come out with a new type of sensor that greatly reduces noise. The end result is that the pro-level stuff stays at the same price, it just constantly gets better.

On the other hand, I never thought we would see a 6MP SLR for under $1k...

It is still a great thought and one I am sure Fuji knows they can gain market share with if they can go FF in the 680, we can hope.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    dpreview.com just posted their full review of the D70 and some comparison photos to other similar cameras.

D70 review
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    Oh wow. This is sounding like a fantastic camera. Dear oh dear.
    # Excellent resolution and sharpness, seems better than EOS 300D / EOS 10D
    # Neutral color balance, 'Nikon like' (tuned towards skin tones)
    # Good clean sharpening algorithm leaves almost no 'halo' artifacts
    # Low noise even at high sensitivities, noise appears more monochromatic (film like)

Especially the bit about low noise at high ISO's.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    I just got my D70 tonight. Do any of the current owners have any hints/tips for me?

I've been playing with the camera the last hour or so, and it seems pretty easy to navigate. I've even put on a custom curve to test out tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice,
    Dave
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    [soapbox]

I would have rather bought the D70 and been able to use my Nikkor glass. So FLIPA.gif...I hope you're happy with yourselves. FLIPA.gif

[/soapbox]

Dood ...is Nikon fitting glass any cheaper than the one for $5K we were talking about the other day ?

Finding this out was a real downer to me...without forking out on a few decent lens's its a bit like driving a ferrari in traffic !
  • Options
    jd34jd34 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2004
    Nikon D70
    thinking of buying the D70 or Rebel..........I bought two D70's, one a kit with the 18-70 lens. Fantastic cameras. Can keep shooting almost forever till your card fills up. I sell alot of cameras at the shop and find the nikon better than the canon. Many tests are out now and show the resolution better than the canon and also better than the canon 10D.

1/500 of a second flash sync is a plus when shooting outside and you need fill flash....................Instant startup..............Raw plus JPEG(not embedded like the canon) is great for weddings.............

Anyone considering it better buy now.............it takes our camera shop up to 5 weeks to get another D70 on the shelf from nikon............They are hot and flying fast....................
  • Options
    jd34jd34 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2004
    try a custom setting with sharpness up one............great camera.....have two now myself.
    dkapp wrote:
    I just got my D70 tonight. Do any of the current owners have any hints/tips for me?

I've been playing with the camera the last hour or so, and it seems pretty easy to navigate. I've even put on a custom curve to test out tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice,
    Dave
  • Options
    ExactImageExactImage Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2004
    D70
    Yes I have one....3 fps, 1/500 sink, great controls I would rate it above my S2
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    4432563-M.jpg

What little financial restraint I possess was no match in the end. Lookin' forward to learnin' a whole lot more than I now know. thumb.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    clap.gif Woo Hoo! Way to go Tim! Congratulations on yer new cam. It's a financial rat hole, but don't worry about that! You just got yourself one sweet camera.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.