Options

Question about reinstalling apple software

firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited March 27, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hi folks,

I have been having some issues with Safari and a couple other programs on my MBP and one of the employees at a local Apple store suggested I reinstall the Apple software.

I guess my question is - will I lose any data that I've downloaded to the hard drive? If so, anything I can do to save it? Also, I have images in CS3 that I'm working on, should I just download to a disk for now to save the info?

This is the first time I've had to reinstall anything (I know I've been lucky) so not sure what all needs to be done. :dunno

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    firelook2 wrote:
    Hi folks,

I have been having some issues with Safari and a couple other programs on my MBP and one of the employees at a local Apple store suggested I reinstall the Apple software.

I guess my question is - will I lose any data that I've downloaded to the hard drive? If so, anything I can do to save it? Also, I have images in CS3 that I'm working on, should I just download to a disk for now to save the info?

This is the first time I've had to reinstall anything (I know I've been lucky) so not sure what all needs to be done. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

If he meant to reinstall using the disk that came with your computer - you might have a choice between "repair" and "reinstall". Repair options shouldn't erase your drive, if you reinstall everything it will format the drive and erase everything before it installs.

In any case, you might want to invest in a small external hard drive and dump all your files to it before you do anything - then maybe just take it to the mac store in your area or a repair shop and have them do the reinstall (if you have no idea what/how to do it, that is the safest way).
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a lot of things downloaded on the hard drive (just the items that came with the startup disk plus Aperture and CS3) but I do have quite a few images in Aperture. I normally keep the past couple months worth of shooting in my Aperture program (after backing up to external hard drive) so would have to remove those I'm sure.

I may just elect to take the MBP over to the Apple store and see if they will take care of the reinstall with the disks that came with the computer as that is what they had suggested.

Thanks for the reply.

..Marcy
    Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8