Easter in Madrid

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited March 28, 2008 in People
Easter is a solemn affair all over Spain and its observance lasts four days. Here are a few pics from the processions:

271221288_EDriq-L.jpg

271186121_G4rAX-L.jpg

271184258_LDjGM-L.jpg
271183497_P7ivq-L.jpg

271184034_b8JCA-L.jpg

271187687_edt4Z-L.jpg

If you are interested, there are more pics here.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Cheers,

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    These are super interesting, Richard. Now if there was just a bit more journaling to explain what is going on........ hint... hint...mwink.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Great photos thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 28, 2008
    Great photos thanks for sharing

Thanks, Awais and Heather. thumb.gif

You're right, of course, Heather. I was just being lazy. The pointy hoods are the most characteristic feature of Spanish Easter processions. They date back to medieval times when they were embraced as a way of demonstrating penitence while maintaining anonymity. Americans are often freaked out by their unfortunate resemblance to the KKK costume, but they have no such association to Spaniards. The marchers are all members of different religious brotherhoods, but they are not clergy themselves. I enjoy wondering what their day jobs might be. The guys in the cool white capes are alabarderos (sorry, if there's an English translation, I don't know it), an honor guard unit for the king. I'm really not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but Wikipedia has a decent short summary here.

Cheers,
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Hey thanks! I suppose I could have done the research myself.... but with a knowledgable guy right there.... Thanks for filling us in!
    Pretty cool stuff! Thanks for taking the time to explain!:D