home studio

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in People
I mostly take pics of the family, but I am trying to get them better. I have been experiement for some time with a black background, and umbrella and second flash. With this pic I added a flash from behind and just above to separate the hair from the background. Don't be too hard on me, but how am I doing? How can it get better?

270830346_7r7Pm-L.jpg

Comments

• rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    good stuff josh.. hairlight is perfect. so u have 2 sources, one at the back and top of the model and where's the other one? is it off-camera and just triggering it off wirelessly?
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    There are actually three.

One on camera 580 that is pointed straight up (with the camera the the side, straight to the side) that has a piece of paper taped to it--the world's cheapest diffuser, I like to say. This triggers to others, both 430x

one is attached to an umbrella, just to my left.

the other is just above and behind the subject--maybe about 4 feet behind and 18 inches above. There is a second window and it is on the ledge of that window. This flash too has a piece of paper taped to it and it is pointed down about 45 degrees.

Glad you like it.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Pull him further away from the background or direct the light away from the background as I can see the wrinkles in it.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com