Trying something new

BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited April 12, 2008 in Holy Macro
I really enjoy just walking around my neighborhood and taking pictures of the beautiful flowers and plants that grow in the Bay Area, but after a lot of flower photos -- though fine in their own right -- I decided something was lacking. So I decided to try something more abstract, really looking at the unique shapes, forms, colors, etc., and make it more about the 'essence' of the plant than the fact that it is a plant/flower. Anyway, this was my first attempt, but I really look forward to trying more shots in this style as spring comes into full bloom. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated.

Thanks, and hope you enjoy,
--Brendan

[1] Abstract, i
2315465595_b6a40c94b1.jpg
Flickr page with exif: http://flickr.com/photos/mcmlxxxvi/2315465595/

[2] Abstract, ii
2315467999_fcf4a42307.jpg
Flickr page with exif: http://flickr.com/photos/mcmlxxxvi/2315467999/

[3] Elegance
2315478653_411e7ce101.jpg
Flickr page with exif: http://flickr.com/photos/mcmlxxxvi/2315478653/

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Funny you should post this. I was just contemplating doing similar upload to my Site.

Not to highjack your thread, so I'll post it small.

271565569_Ad776-S.jpg

See Trying something new, Too.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Don: If you wanted to comment and then post a link to share, that'd be different, but it seems slightly discourteous to use another person's thread to advertise your own... ne_nau.gif

Anyway, if anyone has some feedback, I'd be most interested to hear it, as I'm still experimenting with this. I am going to try some shots in the same style this weekend, weather/time permitting.

--Brendan
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Sorry, I usually do remember to comment. I was just excited over what you had posted. I do like them. And was enthused enough by them (I thought that would come through) to be encouraged to post mine.

It is nice to see other than blooms! The Lilly is quite subtle but nice.clap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Like the ideas but only #2 works well for me :)
    Brian V.
    edited March 31, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Sorry, I usually do remember to comment. I was just excited over what you had posted. I do like them. And was enthused enough by them (I thought that would come through) to be encouraged to post mine.

It is nice to see other than blooms! The Lilly is quite subtle but nice.clap.gif

Don

Thanks Don. Sorry about not catching the enthusiasm -- the internet tends to strip away everything but the slightest hints of emotion.

I'm glad you found the lily to be subtle, since that's what I was going for.

Thanks again,
    --Brendan
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Brendan
    I like the thought also and #2 suits me a lot #3 leaves me wanting more
    John
    edited April 1, 2008
    300m wrote:
    Brendan
    I like the thought also and #2 suits me a lot #3 leaves me wanting more
    John

Being left wanting more was kind of the effect I was going for, actually — but did you mean wanting more in a good way or a bad way?

Thanks for your comments,

—Brendan
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Biarien wrote:
    Being left wanting more was kind of the effect I was going for, actually — but did you mean wanting more in a good way or a bad way?

Thanks for your comments,

—Brendan
    Brendan
    In a good way, I see where you are going with the shot. My monitor at home is better than this office screen. Looks like an ivory dream shot. Your #2 sticks in my mind. that is something I could use on daily photo's. Really like the idea.

John
    edited April 3, 2008
    300m wrote:
    Brendan
    In a good way, I see where you are going with the shot. My monitor at home is better than this office screen. Looks like an ivory dream shot. Your #2 sticks in my mind. that is something I could use on daily photo's. Really like the idea.

John

Thanks John -- I'm glad you like it, and espcially glad the intended effect came through. That's a huge success for me. :D

—Brendan
    edited April 7, 2008
    Any other comments? If not, I'll let this slide into the oblivion of macro forum history.
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Don't let it slide. Not yet.
    All great images but #3, Elegance, is really nice. Very inspiring.

I also like where you're going with the first, although a subject with fewer blemishes would work better. For me, anyway :)
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
    edited April 12, 2008
    ColMofed wrote:
    All great images but #3, Elegance, is really nice. Very inspiring.

I also like where you're going with the first, although a subject with fewer blemishes would work better. For me, anyway :)

I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I do want to say thanks for your comments. I agree with you about #1. Perhaps I will try to re-shoot that, as I also want to get the framing better and probably more of it in focus. I do appreciate the critique, and I'm glad you like #3 -- it's one of my favorite photographs so far.

—Brendan
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Count me in for that #2