Holga-rama

omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited May 28, 2008 in Landscapes
Been wanting a Holga for months now, and finally a local camera store has it in stock.
Some street photography around San Mateo and Foster City.

Holga 120FN
Ilford FP4+
271654622_6YBxh-XL.jpg

271655527_mTiSF-XL.jpg

271655075_ww7aD-XL.jpg

Kodak Potra 160NC
271659591_4LVfm-XL.jpg

271660820_CyMZ3-XL.jpg

Sent in another two rolls (Ilford Delta 400 and Kodak T-Max 400) today, should have them up by next week if I have time.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    What is Holga? It does give you a different type of photo.

Photo # 3 kinda draws me in...only the sky is kinda bright compaired to the landscape.
  • omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    In short, a Holga is cheap (really) camera from the PRC from the '80s and has a quite large cult like following. A really budget entrance to the world of medium format photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holga
    edited March 30, 2008
    In short, a Holga is cheap (really) camera from the PRC from the '80s and has a quite large cult like following. A really budget entrance to the world of medium format photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holga

Learned something new :D Sounds like a fun camera to play around with. Looks like your having fun with it.

Keep going with it :D
  • WacrerWacrer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    LOMO!! my holga and me will always be. :D
    Full Circle Photography, Inc.

Scott McPherson

www.fortecinema.com
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Wacrer wrote:
    my holga and me will always be. :D
    Okay, that's cute :D!

But, I've never really understood the attraction the Holga holds for so many people. It seems to be an excuse to take many crappy pics of unsubstantial subject matter to me ne_nau.gif... Like, I am really not that interested in any of the shots shown above, Holga or not.

I guess I "just don't get it", if anyone could enlighten me, please go ahead mwink.gif.

Thanks,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • nikonboinikonboi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2008
    saltydog wrote:

But, I've never really understood the attraction the Holga holds for so many people. It seems to be an excuse to take many crappy pics of unsubstantial subject matter to me ne_nau.gif... Like, I am really not that interested in any of the shots shown above, Holga or not.

I guess I "just don't get it", if anyone could enlighten me, please go ahead mwink.gif.

Thanks,
    Jana

I agree. although the OP seems to be enjoying taking pics with that camera.
    edited April 1, 2008
    nikonboi wrote:
    I agree. although the OP seems to be enjoying taking pics with that camera.

I agree that as long as the OP enjoys it....thats all that matters.

I see these types of photos as a different kind of art produced by a camera. Kind of reminds me of the old movies of long ago that you see shown late at night on the Old Movie Channel. Or photos that you would find in your Great-Great Grandmas shoebox.
  • omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    saltydog wrote:

I think it's just all of the flaws associated with a Holga that makes it attractive to some people. I am really enjoying it as it really does teaches you how to be disciplined in picking your shots. (A roll for me is about 5 dollars and processing is about 8-16)
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    saltydog wrote:

Thanks,
    Jana

I think it's fair to say people take crap pictures with whatever type of camera they're using. You can take a crap picture with a Holga and you can take a crap picture with a Hasselblad. If you're hung up on perfect exposures, histograms, sharpness etc (which I was for a while) it leaves little room for creativity.

The Holga gives you little control over your exposures, and you're shooting film with the costs involved, therefore you tend to take a little more time thinking about your subject and composition. It liberates your creativity.

Charlie
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    I really like the first shot here. I think the Holga would be perfect for creating prop photos for a movie - like others have said it has a very nostalgic feel to it.

I have a Holga but haven't used it since my last fruitless processing (tried crossprocessing slide film and it was all worthless).
    ~ Lisa