Options

Guest password questions

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited June 27, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Can someone give me the rundown on the guest password usage? I have a few questions.

1. I noticed when you create a guest password, when you log in with that password you have to use the account owner's email address as the address...is that right? There's no other way to create some sort of user ID instead of using the email address of the account owner (me)?

2. Any way to limit the person logging in to with the guest password to ONE gallery only and they can't see anyting else?

I'd like to be able to create a couple guest logins so I can let people upload photos to a class reunion gallery...but there may be more than one gallery. I don't want them accessing any of my other galleries.

From what I have seen so far, I can't do what I'd like to do. Am I understanding thre guest password and it's usage correctly?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Guest password doesn't ask for email address. If they're being asked for email, they've hit the Smugmug login button.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Where then does the guest enter the guest password? I don't see any other way to log in using the guest password except for clicking on the Login link...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    They login from www.smugmug.com with your nickname and the guest password. Or your email address and the guest password.

Either will do fine.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/guest-passwords
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    They login from www.smugmug.com with your nickname and the guest password. Or your email address and the guest password.

Either will do fine.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/guest-passwords

Andy, I'm trying to figure out how to use guest passwords too. That help page you reference, doesn't say anything about "how" you actually login with the guest password. I'd suggest that addition as it is not intuitive how it works.

I also found some gotcha's for guests. As a guest the ONLY opportunity you have to create a proper category is when you create the gallery. If you don't create the right category (and presumably sub-category too) when you create the gallery, you can't then create a category in the gallery customization page and you can't get to the normal place where you'd create a category in the control panel. Is there any reason that guests are locked out of creating categories after the fact? Since they can create categories at gallery creation time, it seems like they should be able to create categories later too.

As it turns out, they can just create dummy galleries and create a new category when doing that which they can then assign to the earlier gallery, but then they can't delete the dummy gallery so it's kind of messy and the work-around is beyond what most would figure out to do anyway.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question