Baseball: Its not just action

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited April 11, 2008 in Sports
I have been shooting our HS baseball team. I find that action is really tough, but emotions and people are pretty straitforward. Some shots for your comments:

This guy just hit his second home run in the game:

Call it!:

This kid threw a perfect game:

C&C appreciated!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    GREAT SHOTS!!! 1,3,4 are my favorites. I shoot action all the time and It is something that can be learned with practice, but to get the emotional shots, that is a talent.
    Chris
    www.longislandimage.com

Oh yeah, the wind up of the pitcher is a good action shot
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    I agree with Lucky, I like ALL of them and LOVE #1 and #3 :D. Maybe crop out the other players hands and knees on the right of #3 ???. Wish I knew the kid, I'd buy it!!!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Wow the colors are great!

Also nice and clear... i can't shoot baseball right now... b/c i don't have anything longer than 200mm and that's not "good" enough for it
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    tjstrider wrote:
    Wow the colors are great!

Also nice and clear... i can't shoot baseball right now... b/c i don't have anything longer than 200mm and that's not "good" enough for it

These were all shot with my 70-200 f2.8 Canon lens.......mwink.gif

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited April 3, 2008
    LensCap wrote:
    I agree with Lucky, I like ALL of them and LOVE #1 and #3 :D. Maybe crop out the other players hands and knees on the right of #3 ???. Wish I knew the kid, I'd buy it!!!

That's my son!

Z
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I really, really like #1. Love how you caught him tipping his cap, the twinkle in his eye and the big smile thumb.gif I keep going back and looking at that one and feel good each time.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    That's my son!

Z

Well Buy some prints!!!:D
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • NHDaveNHDave Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    great post... Call me crazy, but much of the beauty of baseball
    can be away from the ball.
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    I have been shooting our HS baseball team. I find that action is really tough, but emotions and people are pretty straitforward. Waiting to get in the game:

271933164_cUTYN-L.jpg
    I agree, baseball is one of the tough sports to shoot. There are long breaks inbetween the action and if you try to ancipate where the action is going to be you may get a foul ball off your head ( I came terrifyingly close at Fenway once).

That being said, when I take young shooters under my wing, I have a couple of points I focus on what it takes to make a good sports photograhp. You know the stuff they need for the paper, that is just for a good sports photographer.

What makes a great sports photograhper is someone who watches for the moments in between, the moments right after, the moments just before "the peak action" we are all trying to capture. The great sports photograhper watches all of the game from start to finish, and has the ablity to capture emotion and can convey it in their photos without captions.

I say all these because the photo above does that. It contains strong powerful emotions of what is going on with the player at that moment at the game. It contains interesting lighting, which makes the viewer linger longer while looking at the image. Its photos like this that can set you apart from the other photographers. Keep up the good work ( For the record I dont give out compliments very often :) ) and keep striving to be better than good.
    LensCap wrote:
    Maybe crop out the other players hands and knees on the right of #3 ???
    I kind of like the legs and feet in it, but I would crop out some of the space on the top of the photo.
    But seriously a really nice capture.
    edited April 11, 2008
    Thanks so much for the nice comments. I did do an 8X10 crop and Smugmug print and really enjoy it.:

It does take the space above away. I dont mind the hands and feet in the picture much, its part of being on the bench.

I was a little aprehensive to post this again, but its my own son and I have a little pride there!

Z