Options

Digital Downloads

pam3lapam3la Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited April 22, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
What does the Low-Res (1Mpix), High-Res (4Mpix) and original digital downloads mean for a customer? If I were to buy a low-res (1 Mpix) mean if I were to download it and High-Res, etc? Will the DPI/PPI be altered with each low-res or high-res file a customer buys?

My apologies in advance for my ignorance on this subject, but it still continues to confuse and elude me.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Hi Pam,
    my understanding is this.
    Buy the low-res if you want to use it for wallpaper or to view on your computer only. If you want to print it any larger than say 4x6, you'll need to buy the hi-res version as the hi-res version has higher pixel count than the low-res.
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
  • Options
    pam3lapam3la Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2008
    Thank you.
  • Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I was going to ask something similiar as to when they purchase the image during checkout, they can save it at that point without the watermark correct? I just had a few customers buy low-res lastnight for the first time and did not know the process.

Thanks
    Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lifeguardstevelifeguardsteve Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2008
    First Post- Newbie Question
    Andy wrote:
    First, let me say that SmugMug is an awesome concept and company- and I will be getting a pro account as soon as I return from vacation and can get my site up and running.

Now here's my question regarding digital downloads. I know that the full rez download is the original file that we upload. But do we need to supply a 1 and 4 meg version as well for 1 and 4 meg sale options? Or does SmugMug down sample the original and thus provide for us the 1 and 4 meg versions? And if so, what method or program do they use to down sample the original image file.

Thanks!
    S
  • Options
    lifeguardstevelifeguardsteve Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2008
    Another digital download question
    Andy wrote:
    Andy,

In regards to digital download sales- would you recommend that one run their digital files through the Colour-Science Image Editor before uploading them? As I understand it, you do NOT alter the original file in any way as it regards to customers purchasing the "full resolution digital file", is that correct?

Thanks!

• Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    But do we need to supply a 1 and 4 meg version as well for 1 and 4 meg sale options?

It's automatic!clap.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    First, let me say that SmugMug is an awesome concept and company- and I will be getting a pro account as soon as I return from vacation and can get my site up and running.

Now here's my question regarding digital downloads. I know that the full rez download is the original file that we upload. But do we need to supply a 1 and 4 meg version as well for 1 and 4 meg sale options? Or does SmugMug down sample the original and thus provide for us the 1 and 4 meg versions? And if so, what method or program do they use to down sample the original image file.

Thanks!
    S
    I doubt they'll say the program they use, but, it is most likely imagemagick that does the resampling. Imagemagick is a VERY good program--quality rivals Ps in resizing/resampling. It's pretty much the *NIX industry standard photo manipulation tool.

David
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Web sized dowwloads - anytime soon?
    Andy,
    I know it's been asked a gazillion times, but does SM have any immediate plans to offer the 3rd (really 4th, but I don't sell originals) digital download option of "WEB" sized versions. Max longest size no more than 800 pixels 72dpi?

I get a ton of request for Blog and web usage only digital downloads that I have to collect payment outside of SM and send the digital file thru email. Kind of a pain in my butt as well as SM is not getting their percentage of the sale.

I sell the Low Res (1Mpex) for $20 and my Web size downloads 800 pix longest 72dpi for $10. With the influx of personal use website, blogs, myspace, etc accounts - I think this is a hugh $$ market that SM is missing out on as well as SM account holders missing lots of potential sales.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    John JJohn J Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2008
    I couldn't agree with Michael more...

My core costumer base is MMA fighters. All they want is MySpace fodder.

John
  • Options
    scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Andy,
    I know it's been asked a gazillion times, but does SM have any immediate plans to offer the 3rd (really 4th, but I don't sell originals) digital download option of "WEB" sized versions. Max longest size no more than 800 pixels 72dpi?

I get a ton of request for Blog and web usage only digital downloads that I have to collect payment outside of SM and send the digital file thru email. Kind of a pain in my butt as well as SM is not getting their percentage of the sale.

I sell the Low Res (1Mpex) for $20 and my Web size downloads 800 pix longest 72dpi for $10. With the influx of personal use website, blogs, myspace, etc accounts - I think this is a hugh $$ market that SM is missing out on as well as SM account holders missing lots of potential sales.

Thanks,
    Michael

A workaround is to do this by hand. Make a second gallery with the same images, but in the web size. Only allow purchase of 'original' digital downloads. A bit clunky, but it works and give you control of exactly what gets downloaded.

I think more of my photos wind up posted on MySpace than printed...