Options

ND filters

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited March 30, 2005 in Technique
I have a question about neutral density filters. I see that there are some that function as an all in one. You just rotate it to achieve the desired stop or individual ones.. +1,+2,..etc... Any advice on which way to go would be apreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    The all in ones are convenient, but you will get better optical quality with a single strength ND filter.

The question becomes, what do you want to use an ND filter for? What problem are you trying to solve? That will go a long way to coming up with an answer to what type and strength filter you need.

4labs wrote:
    I have a question about neutral density filters. I see that there are some that function as an all in one. You just rotate it to achieve the desired stop or individual ones.. +1,+2,..etc... Any advice on which way to go would be apreciated.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    The all in ones are convenient, but you will get better optical quality with a single strength ND filter.

The question becomes, what do you want to use an ND filter for? What problem are you trying to solve? That will go a long way to coming up with an answer to what type and strength filter you need.
    Shay I am going to Yosemite and I imagine a ND will come in Handy for waterfalls..Sunrise,sets...Thnxs....I'd also apreciate your prefered brand of filter..
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    I've not tried the all in one jobs, so I can't comment.
    I wasn't sure how much use I'd get from them so I bought the relatively cheap Cokin P GND set and have recently added the ND 2,4,8 and the Cokin circular polariser.

So far I've hardly used the GNDs, I find it easier to bracket and blend in post. The ND's and polariser are very useful and I'm really enjoying the options they've opened up.
    With my sausage like fingers I find the Cokin system awkward to use particularly the polarizer.
    I don't like the fact that you can't put a lens cap on with the fitting ring attached, spray and splashes were a big problem down on the beach. I must remember to take a plastic bag to slip over the camera between shots next time.
    Once I'm more experienced with using and handling them I'd like upgrade to a Lee or Hitech system.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    A 10 stop ND filter (ND 3.0) will let you get a 2 second exposure in bright daylight at f/8 and ISO 100. Good for water flowing and getting motion blur of the water.

However, an ND filter won't do anything for you for sunset. A "graduated ND filter" would allow you to get a brighter foreground and darker sky which would give a better dynamic range in a single photo. A plain ND filter will darken the whole scene equally which won't provide a benefit for sunsets.

A stand alone ND filter will have better color neutrality than a variable filter will. The variable filter will impart a variable color cast that gets stronger the darker it becomes.

I don't have a preferred brand for filters, the name brands are all high quality. Doing an inventory shows that I have more B+W filters now than any other.

4labs wrote:
    Shay I am going to Yosemite and I imagine a ND will come in Handy for waterfalls..Sunrise,sets...Thnxs....I'd also apreciate your prefered brand of filter..
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    Thnxs Shay and Gubbs this was very helpful..
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    A 10 stop ND filter (ND 3.0) will let you get a 2 second exposure in bright daylight at f/8 and ISO 100. Good for water flowing and getting motion blur of the water.

However, an ND filter won't do anything for you for sunset. A "graduated ND filter" would allow you to get a brighter foreground and darker sky which would give a better dynamic range in a single photo. A plain ND filter will darken the whole scene equally which won't provide a benefit for sunsets.

A stand alone ND filter will have better color neutrality than a variable filter will. The variable filter will impart a variable color cast that gets stronger the darker it becomes.

I don't have a preferred brand for filters, the name brands are all high quality. Doing an inventory shows that I have more B+W filters now than any other.
    Shay,
    At your suggestion I ordered a B+W 3.0 ND filter from B&H after our discussion last week. They mistakenly sent me a 4.0 rolleyes1.gif Normally I would just send it back and ask for the one I ordered. Any reason why I should not just keep the 4.0? From what I gather, it gives me 12-13 stops instead of the 10. I live in Florida where the sun can be very bright at the beach. Do you think I will be disappointed with the 4.0?

mitch
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    Oooooo, sounds intriguing actually. You could still get a 2 second exposure at f/4 and ISO 100 on the brightest day. Longer if you stop down or it is darker than blazing noon.

Is it too dark? Hard to say, it depends on what you are after. If you have any time before your return period ends, I would try it out and see how it feels for you. It might be just up your alley :-)

Mitchell wrote:
    Shay,
    At your suggestion I ordered a B+W 3.0 ND filter from B&H after our discussion last week. They mistakenly sent me a 4.0 rolleyes1.gif Normally I would just send it back and ask for the one I ordered. Any reason why I should not just keep the 4.0? From what I gather, it gives me 12-13 stops instead of the 10. I live in Florida where the sun can be very bright at the beach. Do you think I will be disappointed with the 4.0?

mitch