Bridgeton Covered Bridge/Parke County, Indiana

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited April 1, 2008 in Landscapes
My husband, youngest daughter and I went to Bridgeton yesterday so I could get some photographs in. Last time I went it was a very overcast day and it really didn't make for very nice pictures. Yesterday was a great day for picture taking. The blue skies really popped for me. It was a little on the chilly side, but the scene made it worth it.

Here is a little information on this site.

Welcome to Bridgeton!

The Bridgeton Covered Bridge Association would like to thank everyone who contributed to the rebuilding of the Bridgeton Covered Bridge. They would also encourage everyone to come to Bridgeton and see the new bridge. Click here to see how the bridge was rebuilt.
If you enjoy shopping, then you'll love our authentic old mill town. Bridgeton rolls out the welcome mat for six special events each year. We're at our biggest and best during the Covered Bridge Festival in October when, in addition to our fine shops, we have over 400 vendors offering quality crafts, antiques, collectibles, and great food!
Bridgeton is home to the oldest continuously operating mill west of the Allegheny Mountains. The mill overlooks Indiana's most famous covered bridge and waterfall. The first two blocks of the town of Bridgeton were placed on the National Register Historic District in 1992.
Some shops are opened only for the Covered Bridge Festival but the beauty and charm of this old mill town brings pleasure to all visitors every day of the year. A few shops are open year round and others are opened weekends during the summer!

Tonemapped
_DSC0022_0_1_tonemapped.jpg

_DSC0023copy.jpg

_DSC0041copy.jpg

_DSC0066copy.jpg

Tonemapped
_DSC0097tonemapped.jpg

DSC-_0043copybeautifier.jpg

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    no thoughts on these? Just curious to see what everyone thought.:D
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I particularly like the 1st and 5th. I like the tonemapping. Many times the tonemapping makes it look artificial but these are still believeable.

The first one seems a little tilted to me, I don't know if that's a horizontal keystoning issue or just old eyes.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I particularly like the 1st and 5th. I like the tonemapping. Many times the tonemapping makes it look artificial but these are still believeable.

The first one seems a little tilted to me, I don't know if that's a horizontal keystoning issue or just old eyes.

I had the camera on a tripod, but I see the tilting as well. I'm not sure if the perspective I shot from.

I've recently discovered tonemapping and quickly falling in love with the colors.

thank you for your response. :o)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    A fellow Hoosier!!

Welcome to dgrin, Julie.

Parke County has a lot to offer a roving photographer. I have enjoyed it for some time also.

I was so happy to see the Bridgeton Bridge rebuilt. I have a few sets of images of the real thing, and some of the new bridge also. Here is one that resembles yours from a cold winter day before it was burned down.

I would be interested in a brief summary of how you did you post-processing and tone mapping if you wouldn't mind....I am sure other readers would be alsothumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I like #5 the best. The texture and composition is excellent. I'd be curious to learn about your tonemapping technique as well.
    edited April 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    A fellow Hoosier!!

Welcome to dgrin, Julie.

Parke County has a lot to offer a roving photographer. I have enjoyed it for some time also.

I was so happy to see the Bridgeton Bridge rebuilt. I have a few sets of images of the real thing, and some of the new bridge also. Here is one that resembles yours from a cold winter day before it was burned down.

I would be interested in a brief summary of how you did you post-processing and tone mapping if you wouldn't mind....I am sure other readers would be alsothumb.gif

Okay, that is seriously breathtaking. I managed (my husband found it) to photograph a piece of wood that was burned. It's on my blog a couple of posts down it.

My friend actually gave me the settings that she uses in photomatrix. For the actual shot, I did three exposures in RAW format. One on the negative side. One exposed correctly and another overexposed. Then I opened them in Photomatrix. I only shot the first one with three exposures. The rest I was still shooting in the RAW format, but shot with one exposure. My hope is to visit Mansfield Bridge next. We also visited Coxville, (do you know where that is?) but I didn't find it as appealing as Bridgeton.

It is so nice to meet a fellow Hoosier. Do you live in Parke?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Hi Julie,

I live in Terre Haute.

I know where Coxsville is, and Mansfield too - I have shot all the bridges in Parke and Putnam county at one time or another. I have not given tone mapping of HDR much serious effort, but it is on my listthumb.gif

I prefer to shoot right after a new snowfall if I can manage it, but the roads can get rather interesting at that time back in the country as well. Fall is the time of year with the most color of course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin