First Timer, Looking for Advice (Basball Photos Included)

Wahoo08Wahoo08 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 31, 2008 in Sports
UPDATE- Sorry guys, my attachment was to large to post, so it looks like I'm gonna have to play around to find another way to post the photos (perhaps creating a web album?). Anyways, sorry for the false alarm, but I will try to get some photos up here shortly.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    ** MOD edit...for anyone else that cant see black type.

[qoute Wahoo08]

Hey guys,

I've just started to pick up an interest in photography and have already learned quite a lot through this site. I've posted a few photos of my first baseball shoot below and would greatly appreciate some advice on how to improve.

A little about myself and my equipment so you guys know where I'm coming from. I shot with a Canon Rebel XT using a 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 lens. Being as how I'm a poor college student, there probably wont be any upgrades any time soon (although if you have any suggestions, I will certainly take note for sometime in the future). I was also shooting from the stands (i.e. did not have a press pass) and since I arrived a little later then I wanted to a big rivalry game, my location was not the best (this made it hard to capture any facial expressions since I was shooting from an elevated spot and the faces were mostly shadowed).

With that said, I want to thank you in advance for any comments (positive or negative) that you may have.
  • Wahoo08Wahoo08 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2008
    Alright everyone, I'm gonna try this again. First of all, thank you all for your patience while I slowly get used to using dgrin. Second, since gus already reposted my original message, I'll just refer you to that.

If you guys have any comments on my photos, I'd appreciate it.

1.)
    Picture%20037.jpg?imgmax=800

2.)
    Picture%20102.jpg?imgmax=800

3.)
    Picture%20101.jpg?imgmax=912

4.)
    Picture%20043.jpg?imgmax=800

5.)
    Picture%20092.jpg?imgmax=512

6.)
    Picture%20095.jpg?imgmax=576

7.)
    Picture%20018.jpg?imgmax=640
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    I'm probably newer at this than you so take this with a grain of salt :D. First of all you've definitely come to the right place to learn, there are a ton of folks who have forgotten more about photography than I'll ever know all over this site who will gladly jump in and give you tons of advice...you just got to be willing to listen and not get too "thin skinned". I don't think you'll ever get "great" results shooting with that high of an aperature, the shallow DOF offered by a 2.8 seems to be pretty much required. So next time get down on the field, zoom in twice as close as you think is needed, and try to get angles where the subjects background is not too terribly distracting. I believe that the more you can fill the frame up with the subject the better off you will be. Try going to any baseball game where you can at least hang on the fence and try getting the ball coming off the bat, I amused myself for several hours a few weeks ago with that exercise (learn to time it, not burst mode). Keep shooting and posting, you'll learn a bunch in no time! Now I stand back and let's see what I've told you wrong...:D
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Randy's right. Getting down on the field makes the images much more appealing. A low angle (if your knees can handle it) is even better as it gets you under that hat brim to see the players eyes and makes them look more impressive. Shoot highschool or find out about local leagues. It's rarely difficult to get close to the action and in some cases on the field. If you carry a big lense, the umps usually assume you're supposed to be there. If you see a local press person, talk to them. If they're friendly stand next to them and look official. The ump will follow your lead in most cases.

You've captured some good action. Getting closer to it will make all the difference.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    [quote=donek Getting down on the field makes the images much more appealing. A low angle (if your knees can handle it) is even better as it gets you under that hat brim to see the players eyes and makes them look more impressive.[/quote]
    I totally agree with what donek said!

Also be assertive and act as if you're supposed to be there... When I first did these things (even though I was supposed to be there) I acted as I wasn't. Kinda looking as if I didn't knwo what I was doing... they came and asked who i was... and gave them my high-school's press pass.