Cherry Trees!

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited March 30, 2008 in Landscapes
Spring is here in Seattle! The crocuses (croci? :D), hyacinths, and daffodils have made their respective appearances, and now the cherry trees are in full bloom. Soon it will be time for the tulips (my favorite), and before you know it, roses, dahlias, various ornamental annuals... There won't be any shortage of good material for the next six months.

Anyway, here are some shots of 30 or so cherry trees on the University of Washington campus. I went on Saturday afternoon, during a brief period of blue sky, and was joined by about 150 other people (many of which were Japanese, it reminded me of Ueno and Shinjuku Gyoen parks in Tokyo when I was there two years ago, minus the sake). So, I didn't get many photos (too many people moving about in my way, enjoying the trees, how dare they!), but I did manage to break my tripod :cry (only the clamp on one of the lower legs, I could still use the upper legs). I went back this morning, early, crippled tripod in tow, and there were only one or two people there, but the sky was completely overcast.

I'm sure tomorrow there will be no people and the sky will be blue, but I'll be at work! My next opportunity may be too late, but hopefully not.

272399396_7MgTP-L.jpg

This next one is actually a Magnolia, they bloom for such a short time, but they're one of my favorite blooming trees (the sky was blue so I could actually include it, there's a lot of interesting gothic architecture that would have made for interesting backgrounds for the cherry trees too):

272087056_cworE-L.jpg

272401160_oCXtE-L.jpg

272404413_sB5eU-L.jpg

Up close (you can see there's still a few buds, so hopefully they'll stay in bloom for another weekend):

272085771_Yj6QE-L.jpg

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Very pretty!! #3 is my favorite. The University of Washington campus looks very similar to Penn State University in these pictures except in place of the cherry trees we have towering Elm trees. I'm so jealous, I have 2 crocus in my yard right now in Rhode Island, everything else is barren.

Stephanie