Options

Carbonite font changed?

shothuntershothunter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 2, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hello People,

just activatet my trial account with smugmug and I noticed right away how the font doesnt seem to be sharp - it just looks weird - I checked all the settings but couldnt find anything to fix it, is there anything I can do about this?
Here a link to my page for reference.
Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated :thumb

ed

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Hi Ed, welcome to Digital Grin wave.gif

Everything seems to look 'normal' on your account:
    20080329-pq5r47wrcih618d91retnwpcfe.jpg

Is the weird font present on other accounts as well? or just on yours?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Hello Ivar,

thanks for your quick reply thumb.gif.
    To me it looks like it is only my account that the font looks weird in - I got another screen capture to show you what I mean - I'm in the gallery viewing the photographs with the "critique style". Hope it helps.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Here is another example of what the font looks like after I log in:
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Tell us about your computer, what operating system, and what monitor you have, and what browser you are using, okay?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Also, did you change the default settings for things such as font-size for you system? (either for your entire system or for your browser) Can you make me a screengrab of a portion of http://www.nytimes.com/ to compare?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Right now I'm using a Notebook from Acer, I run Windows XP on it, SP2 ( I think) and I'm a devoted Firefox user:D. And no, I did not change any default settings for font sizes or anything like that.
    Below a screengrab of the NYT for comparison:
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Hey Ed,

So there may be a couple of things going on here. First off, it looks like you may not have clear type on for Win XP. It's difficult to say for sure since you're using a very dithered gif and a very compressed jpg for your screen grabs. In any case, could you check to see if clear type is enabled (it is off by default in XP). To turn cleartype on in XP:
    1. Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties'
    2. Select the 'Appearance' tab and press the 'Effects…' button
    3. Check the box for 'Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts', then select 'ClearType' in the dropdown list
    4. Close the Effects dialog by clicking 'OK' and click 'Apply' to complete the process
    You can also fine tune the cleartype on your machine by going to http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx.

If cleartype is already on or once it is on and you are experiencing the same problem with the font, the other issue could be the font that is used. FireFox 2 and the Myriad Pro font do not play nicely together. Can you check your site in Internet Explorer to see if you experience the same issue? If not, then it's a browser thing. The good news is that FireFox 3 has apparently solved the font bugs. The bad thing is that the expected release date for FireFox 3 isn't until June. You can download the beta; however, there are still some bugs to be worked out and many extensions won't work. Supposedly uninstalling and reinstalling Myriad Pro should fix the issue, but I have had mixed luck with that.

Of course, this may not be the issue either. That'd be particularly obvious if you don't have the Myriad Pro font installed in the first place. So let us know if these steps help smooth out your font problems or not. If they don't we'll see what other troubleshooting we can do.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Hi Mike,

you were right about the clear type thing - I turned it on, but Firefox still displays the font like it did before (I didnt do a restart, donno if thats needed), but I also checked the site in safari (apple browser) and the difference was significant, so I think it must be a browser thing. Is there a way to display the site with a different font?

btw, thanks everybody for helping me out, I really appreciate that! thumb.gif

ed
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    I think I figured out how to fix the problem - I just use a different theme = different font = problem solved. I was peviously using "carbonite", now I switched to "khaki", which, imo, doesnt look as fancy, but gets rid of that stupid looking font...

check it out:

And thanks again to everybody for helping out!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    shothunter wrote:
    I think I figured out how to fix the problem - I just use a different theme = different font = problem solved. I was peviously using "carbonite", now I switched to "khaki", which, imo, doesnt look as fancy, but gets rid of that stupid looking font...

check it out:

Right, but as we've been saying, it's not theme-related it's font & setup related on your machine.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Carbonite font changed?
    font changed sometime in the last week...
    ive looked at my site from multiple puters and they all show the new font on carbonite...

i havent done anything to the custom settings since the vanity links stopped working a month or two back......

how do i fix'er
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    font changed sometime in the last week...
    ive looked at my site from multiple puters and they all show the new font on carbonite...

i havent done anything to the custom settings since the vanity links stopped working a month or two back......

how do i fix'er
    Not that I'm aware of.

What browser, and what computer & OS? Got a screen shot?

Also, what gallery link please?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    i have three different puters with vista, xp, & 2000
    i just noticed yesterday....
    the only odd thing thats happend latly is i cant get some pano's to display in a gallery that i downloaded too..?i dont see the link with that...

anyway it seems i dont know how to print screen onto a post i only know one way and it aint workn

heres my humble site
    http://pictureworks.smugmug.com/
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    Checked in Win XP and also Win Vista, it all looks fine to me ne_nau.gif

20080331-b8ug8fgjmj8mkc9qnexdab9css.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    im at a loss....that screen shot you posted shows how it suppose to look...:D
    that font is what im used to seeing...
    i wonder why all my puters show a different font...??

i will look from another computer when i go into work tomorrow...maybe its just these computers....how in the world? i dont know...ne_nau.gif

thanks for looking into it, it is greatly appreciated!
    i am simply amazed by your support given here.

i will report tomorrow...thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I had the same problem with that font from that theme as well! But after customizing my site, i no longer use it.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    I had the same problem with that font from that theme as well! But after customizing my site, i no longer use it.
    Hi Christine, it's not the theme though. As you can see by our screen grabs. It's a local browser / system issue with the way the computer deals with fonts.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Checked in Win XP and also Win Vista, it all looks fine to me ne_nau.gif

20080331-b8ug8fgjmj8mkc9qnexdab9css.jpg
    The fonts look different for me - smaller and more cramped. I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
    272875721_VZJCx-O-1.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The fonts look different for me - smaller and more cramped. I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
    272875721_VZJCx-O-1.jpg
    My screenshot is Windows Vista Home Premium, as well, SP1. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Christine, it's not the theme though. As you can see by our screen grabs. It's a local browser / system issue with the way the computer deals with fonts.

It's both. It's a problem on some machines with the font and CSS that carbonite is using. We've seen this problem several times before as my Windows Vista SP1 system shows the same problem with carbonite.

Here's another active thread on the same topic. And, here's a discussion about this topic from quite awhile ago. The issue is real. It's not debilitating so most would probably not report it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    shothunter wrote:

check it out:

Again, the myriad pro font issues in firefox are solved in version 3. It's a browser issue not a theme issue. In June when firefox 3 comes out, this stupid browser bug will finally go away. clap.gif

• Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    It's both. It's a problem on some machines with the font and CSS that carbonite is using. We've seen this problem several times before as my Windows Vista SP1 system shows the same problem with carbonite.

Here's another active thread on the same topic. And, here's a discussion about this topic from quite awhile ago. The issue is real. It's not debilitating so most would probably not report it.
    Hah forgot about that olde thread, yeah thanks John for the reminder!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Again, the myriad pro font issues in firefox are solved in version 3. It's a browser issue not a theme issue. In June when firefox 3 comes out, this stupid browser bug will finally go away. clap.gif

In this thread, we're seeing the issue in IE7.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    :D i feel famous. Andy & Jfriend have been on my site

anyway, im here at my day job...this computer shows carbonite font correctly, just as Andy posted.

my puters at home all show as Jfriend posted, im thinking my home machines went through a auto update or something.
    no other reason for me to see a change out of the blue like that...

so anyway im reading a bit about this and i still am not sure how to correct the issue on my home pc's...ne_nau.gif

thanks everyonethumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    In this thread, we're seeing the issue in IE7.
    This is the first I've heard of the issues on IE7 with myriad pro. I'll see if some searching comes up with something. I have no idea if it is linked to the firefox problem or not. Maybe try to uninstall and reinstall myriad pro to see if that helps with IE7. ne_nau.gif

Actually jfriend, it looks like your screen grab may not be using myriad pro. It's difficult to tell since the letters are all so deformed, but the capital "C" definitely looks different. Do you even have myriad pro installed?

• Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    This is the first I've heard of the issues on IE7 with myriad pro. I'll see if some searching comes up with something. I have no idea if it is linked to the firefox problem or not. Maybe try to uninstall and reinstall myriad pro to see if that helps with IE7. ne_nau.gif

Actually jfriend, it looks like your screen grab may not be using myriad pro. It's difficult to tell since the letters are all so deformed, but the capital "C" definitely looks different. Do you even have myriad pro installed?
    Here's a screen grab of the differences in Arial and Myriad Pro:

20080331-d1yui8du5yhx46xp1iys3re2w2.jpg

Note the very different capital C. Andy, it looks like you are seeing arial instead of myriad pro. Do you have myriad pro installed on your pee cee?

• Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

I have a stock Windows Vista Home Premium system. Never done anything to the fonts. Open Office Writer shows in it's font listing Myriad Pro, Myriad Pro Cond and Myriad Pro Light. Same font listing for Microsoft WordPad. They are there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I have a stock Windows Vista Home Premium system. Never done anything to the fonts. Open Office Writer shows in it's font listing Myriad Pro, Myriad Pro Cond and Myriad Pro Light. Same font listing for Microsoft WordPad. They are there.
    Ya, sorry, updated with a new post instead of an update. I think it's andy who doesn't have myriad pro installed which could explain why he's not seeing a problem.

• Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Ha.. I remember this discussion. Basically, I abandoned the carbonite theme as there was no solution for me. ne_nau.gif

Good Luck! thumb.gif
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Sorry I assumed that it was the theme, as carbonite theme is the only one that messes up. I'm on XP browsing with firefox, IE7 and flock and see the same cramped up stly each time. I get the same thing from out our worn out work computers too!!