Options

USS Wisconsin

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited March 31, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Decommissioned and resting in Norfolk. C&C welcomed...

272557892_BEyvH-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Very nice image! I like it a lot. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Howdy Travis,

Wonderful perspective and composition.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 30, 2008
    It's a hard boat to shoot, so since you asked, some crit based on your shot, and being there once myself:

1. i swear its impossible to make that boat look "straight", a few degrees to the left maybe? I had the same issue, but the boat and surrounding buildings never seem to really match up. i like that you've cropped most of those distractions out.

2. bit sad you chopped off the flag on the bow (go USA :D)

3. pretty poor resolution there, lots of artifacts (see the leftmost anchor), did you link us a dud? ne_nau.gif

4. maybe this is the same answer as #3, WB seems a bit red, like you scanned in an old print?

Did you check out the museum?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's a hard boat to shoot, so since you asked, some crit based on your shot, and being there once myself:

1. i swear its impossible to make that boat look "straight", a few degrees to the left maybe? I had the same issue, but the boat and surrounding buildings never seem to really match up. i like that you've cropped most of those distractions out.

2. bit sad you chopped off the flag on the bow (go USA :D)

3. pretty poor resolution there, lots of artifacts (see the leftmost anchor), did you link us a dud? ne_nau.gif

4. maybe this is the same answer as #3, WB seems a bit red, like you scanned in an old print?

Did you check out the museum?

Thanks for the honest critic Doc. Your right on keeping things straight but that is the problem shooting at 18 mm 20 ft from the boat. I didn't notice the artifacts before so I'll have to revisit the original. Its not the resolution so I must have introduced them during the processing. I appreciate the input. I haven't walked through the museum yet. I work a couple blocks from it so if I ever get more than a 10-minute break, I may take a quick tour.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Lee, Craig.... thanks for the comp!
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I REALLY like this image. Very nice.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Allright!! Go Wisconsin!! I like this image a lot...how the buildings and negative space on the left mimic the shapes in the ship, and overall perspective...my eye doesn't seem to mind that much that it is not completely "straight" As said before though, the ship itself is a little on the magenta side...and the flag that was cut off at the front is a little distracting...IMO...clone it out completely?

-DK

www.dank-photo.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Thanks Lady and Dank. I didn't think about cloning out the flagpole....doh! Something else to work on....:D