Options

Street Performer

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited April 1, 2008 in Street and Documentary
I took this shot of a street performer on the Santa Monica Pier. C&C Welcome.

273161103_R9LA3-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited March 31, 2008
    Hey Randy,

I like the performer a lot. Good detail and not too much glare off the sax. The background competes with the subject some. It might be worth trying to do something about it--darken? blur? crop? ne_nau.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Great shot! I hope you put some change in his cup:D I agree with Richard about competing background, I might try a tighter crop...

Winston
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I think you can darkend the bg a bit, try dodging technique in PS. I would def do a tighter crop, at least to the point where you can't see the store sign on the left hand side, but I would just look for that next time you're shooting.

The image is a bit shaky, maybe try a wider aperture next time around and bumping the iso up to prevent it from occuring again.

But def love the expression of the sax player and colors. Def thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see what you take next.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I'll take another shot at PP on this one and repost it soon. Thanks again.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    It appears he was moving quite a bit. The instrument looks fairly sharp...his face less so. It is still a nice photograph, and the kind that I like to hang onto to play around with alternative treatments.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Going to post 2 new versions tighter crop and another one with a B/W treatment.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Soooo escaped the beautiful weather here, ey? I agree, make the background a tad darker ... clap.gif Nice shot, Randy.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Soooo escaped the beautiful weather here, ey? I agree, make the background a tad darker ... clap.gif Nice shot, Randy.

I darkened the background on both. How's that?
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Randy
    The first one is a bit too hot for me. The colors and focus of the background compete with the horn player. The b&w conversion would look better (IMHO) without selective color on the horn. Here's a suggestion. Convert to b&w, then duplicate the layer and use "multiply" blending mode...you may need to do it twice but can always lower the opacity. Create a mask and paint in the sax player. Just an idea.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    The first one is a bit too hot for me. The colors and focus of the background compete with the horn player. The b&w conversion would look better (IMHO) without selective color on the horn. Here's a suggestion. Convert to b&w, then duplicate the layer and use "multiply" blending mode...you may need to do it twice but can always lower the opacity. Create a mask and paint in the sax player. Just an idea.

Thanks for the suggestgions Swartzy. I'll give it a go.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com