Options

Reading Between The Pixels

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, I have a challenge. This is a photo I made with a message. However, it doesn't do any good if I am the only one that gets the message. So I would like to know, can you "read between the pixels" and tell me what the message of my photo is? If you can, then I am on the right track. If no one gets it, then I need to...well do something different :D

I am also extending this challenge becuase I would love to see your "read between the pixels" work. I would love to see how other photogs try to get their messages out in their work. Do you have a photo with a message that I, and everyone else who plays this game, can try and figure out?

270333768_DdeMF-L.jpg
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    First Guess!
    "The grass is greener on the otherside."???headscratch.gif

I like the thread concept, too. I'll see if I have anything to post to it.

clap.gifclap

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    or
    "its really not as green as they say":D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I can't believe our lawnmower is broken and I have to pull this grass with my bare hands!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    WacrerWacrer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Okay, I have a challenge. This is a photo I made with a message. However, it doesn't do any good if I am the only one that gets the message. So I would like to know, can you "read between the pixels" and tell me what the message of my photo is? If you can, then I am on the right track. If no one gets it, then I need to...well do something different :D

I am also extending this challenge becuase I would love to see your "read between the pixels" work. I would love to see how other photogs try to get their messages out in their work. Do you have a photo with a message that I, and everyone else who plays this game, can try and figure out?

Hi Karrie
    I like your idea:) the desaturation worked a little to well, I am unsure now as to what the "story" is? do you have any other shots with this same concept? Maybe one with her sitting leaning against the fence, and your DOF runs from just in front of her out the back and through the fence, to a greener pasture behind her. I really liked the green grass in her hand, it looks like you tried to bring the saturation back a bit in that area, a bit more would clear up some ambiguity :)
    Full Circle Photography, Inc.

Scott McPherson

www.fortecinema.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    close
    DonRicklin wrote:
    "The grass is greener on the otherside."???headscratch.gif

I like the thread concept, too. I'll see if I have anything to post to it.

clap.gifclap

Don

Well, the grass is greener on the other side is a well known idea and it is what I based this photo on but "The grass is greener on the other side" is not my message in this photo...
    Maybe I need to rethink this up some more...
    Anymore guesses before I say what I was trying to get across?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    "ive got the green, but nobody to share with" (green as in money)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    "enough for 2" (horses)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    "tairs of my heart"
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    "I'd smoke it, but it's the wrong kinda grass" ? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Well, the grass is greener on the other side is a well known idea and it is what I based this photo on but "The grass is greener on the other side" is not my message in this photo...
    Maybe I need to rethink this up some more...
    Anymore guesses before I say what I was trying to get across?

Hmmm...that greener grass from the other side isn't real or all it's cracked up to be?
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Does it have anything to do with Walt Whitman? headscratch.gif He wrote a work called Leaves of Grass and she looks like she's reading "leaves of grass."
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    She wants to know if the grass really i greener on the other side of the fence. (So, she's holding some over there. mwink.gif)

EDIT: I would have read through before responding, but I didn't want to be influenced on my answer. :D

Ill think a bit longer.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:

Looks like she just made a big sale and the long weed is the last she has left ... I smell outsourceing nature!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    "I'd smoke it, but it's the wrong kinda grass" ? rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif...I was thinking the same thing.....

or...."Can you smoke this??"
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    A Botanist's Lament.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    to funny
    rolleyes1.gif You folks are funny. I like funny. And, I asked for it right :D

Okay, I was trying to evoke the thought that: the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. If you pay attention to it, the grass is the greenest right where you are at.
    In other words: stop dreaming of another life and notice and appriciate the beauty in the life you have.

Guess, I have to go back to the drawing boardne_nau.gif

Okay, who's got the next photo? My turn to guess the message.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:

Okay, I was trying to evoke the thought that: the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. If you pay attention to it, the grass is the greenest right where you are at.
    In other words: stop dreaming of another life and notice and appriciate the beauty in the life you have.

so i was right my first try......:D sorta...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:

I noticed that the pastuer grass was greener on the side she was on, but she was holding the greenest grass on the other side of the fence, hence most of us (at least I did) thought of the orignal parable.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    clap.gif
    so i was right my first try......:D sorta...
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Aahhh, by having her hold the grass on the other side I was trying to make it seem like she was comparing her grass with the other sides. I see now I have only confused things.
    This little game is very helpful!

Frog Lady wrote:
    I noticed that the pastuer grass was greener on the side she was on, but she was holding the greenest grass on the other side of the fence, hence most of us (at least I did) thought of the orignal parable.

C.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND HINDSIGHT!!!
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I really like the idea of this thread. I would like to see some pictures with hidden messages.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    I really like the idea of this thread. I would like to see some pictures with hidden messages.
    Like 'subliminal Advertising'?

Just kidding.

Actually that can be the point of a whole genre of imaging.

Looking forward to some other examples.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Looking closely, it appears she might have two clumps of grass, one in each hand. I think the angle of the shot confuses this, and to me, seeing her comparing the two clumps a bit more easily would have helped.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif Who is next?
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:

I like your message...I did not quite get it...but I think if you showed more grass on the "other side" that shows it is not the same color you might get your point across better...

I also do think that you have gone a tad deep in your message for a photo. If it were the grass is greener on the other side or the grass is not always greener on the other side, you could get that message across, but saying the grass is not greener on the other side, but is the greenest at this moment in time, is fairly deep and hard message to get a across in a photograph. That is just my thoughts, maybe I am way off...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    marrummarrum Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2008
    greener?
    Is the grass REALLY greener? Lets find out.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Message---
    Here is a very easy one-

86338643_9KBSG-L-2.jpg
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Yes they are. Many will say, especially when their team is losing!

Blind, that is!

Don
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    You got that right
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Yes they are. Many will say, especially when trir team is losing!

Blind, that is!

Don

Laughing.gif I hear ya.rolleyes1.gif Same can be said for some referees.rolleyes1.gif :cool :giggle
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    summerz wrote:
    Laughing.gif I hear ya.rolleyes1.gif Same can be said for some referees.rolleyes1.gif :cool :giggle
    There is an NHL referee with the last name of McGough...pronounced McGoo.
    I thought that was appropriate. mwink.gif