Focus and Clarity

bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited March 31, 2008 in Technique
Hello, i am new to Photography. i seem to be having trouble with focus. i have a Nikon D40 and although it takes amazing Photographs, i seem to be gettin alot of blurry photos. some come out so sharp and others are slightly blurred or just not sharp. i see alot of photos on photographers websites and i am amazed at the way the color, clarity and focus are so sharp. How do i learn to photograph like that. is there any tricks or techniques. I did a great photo shoot of some children in a park. the lighint was great, and like i said. some pics came ut great and others were a little to blurred. please help! thanks:scratch
you can check out some of the pictures on my website under Children...
romina
http://www.rominasphotography.com
ro_photo_art@yahoo.com
Romina Ludovico

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 31, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin, Bella.

I will begin by assuming that your D40 is functioning properly, since some of your images are sharp, you say.

Why don't you tell us precisely how you handle focusing your camera? What AF points you use, where you place them, how quickly and accurately you feel the camera performs, and what lenses you are using. What apertures and shutter speeds do you use, and why? Do you use a tripod or flash?

Post a few shots with exif data, so that we can attempt to discern if your images are soft due to focus, or perhaps, camera movement.

Critically sharp images require good high quality lenses, focused with care and proper exposure, and then post edited and sharpened for the very best images. But the first step is sharply focused images to begin with.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    focus and clarity
    Thanks, i will do that. i am a new Photographer so i am still learning what all that means. i usually just use the auto settings right now. i do play with different settings sometimes. i will upload some photos for you to look at tomorrow. thanks for helping
    romina
    ro_photo_art@yahoo.com
    Romina Ludovico
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Sharp focus is only half of the issue. The other half requires a very steady camera, or a shutter speed fast enough for suble movements by you not to effect sharpness.